• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

If happy with LP do you need an SG?

kevs

Thanks guys, not feeling neck dive either way, so perhaps Gibson solved that, SG standard.

BTW if anyone has a maestro vibrola they can sell let me know.

sonar

I go back and forth. Got a Coronet I really like and love SG special era Who, but I seem to prefer my humbucker guitars with maple.

Last edited:

goldtop0

Had a '69 SG Special when I was a teenager and never should have sold it..........need to get another like it with a big fat neck........do you think I can find one......nope:dang
There are none around here so it's a search to get one from the US.............one day I will:2cool
There's just something cool about the unique shape, thin body and vibrant cherry colour that's exciting to me.

Trans-Am

Had a '69 SG Special when I was a teenager and never should have sold it..........need to get another like it with a big fat neck........do you think I can find one......nope:dang
There are none around here so it's a search to get one from the US.............one day I will:2cool
There's just something cool about the unique shape, thin body and vibrant cherry colour that's exciting to me.

Does it really have to be a '69 per say?:hmm I guess if you wanted it to be Historic or Reissue. The current modern line up are nice too.:dude:

goldtop0

Does it really have to be a '69 per say?:hmm I guess if you wanted it to be Historic or Reissue. The current modern line up are nice too.:dude:

The qualifying factor is a fat neck................so hard to find in a SG these days.

CAGinLA

The qualifying factor is a fat neck................so hard to find in a SG these days.

If you're looking to splurge a bit, the new Custom Shop '64 SGs have nice, fat necks. You Can also custom order an SG with a fat neck from the Custom Shop through their Made 2 Measure program.

If your'e looking for a cheaper alternative, I recently played at a local shop what I think might have been a 2019 Gibson USA SG Tribute (it had natural finish, batwing pickguard, and uncovered pickups) and the neck was surprisingly fat - bigger than any Gibson USA SG neck that I have played in recent decades. I think the "Modern" 2019 SG Standards have the same, fatter neck profile (judging from some comments I have seen on other forums).

goldtop0

If you're looking to splurge a bit, the new Custom Shop '64 SGs have nice, fat necks. You Can also custom order an SG with a fat neck from the Custom Shop through their Made 2 Measure program.

If your'e looking for a cheaper alternative, I recently played at a local shop what I think might have been a 2019 Gibson USA SG Tribute (it had natural finish, batwing pickguard, and uncovered pickups) and the neck was surprisingly fat - bigger than any Gibson USA SG neck that I have played in recent decades. I think the "Modern" 2019 SG Standards have the same, fatter neck profile (judging from some comments I have seen on other forums).

Thankyou for the info:2cool

FBPB

For me an SG and an LP are two completely different guitars. One weighs a ton, the other has neck dive! :laugh2:

Seriously though, I love both, but if push came to shove, I just might pick my SG over my LP...

kevs

Good post F, in fact the more I test the LP vs SG, I concur... The SG has great tone and sustain, and is a feather.. so I may not bother with the LP for now... maybe down road. I have other great tones: Strat, Jazzmaster, D'angelico.. don't find LP so different or better..

Was looking at the a surf green LP gorgeous, but expensive and heavy, so may hold off on LP for awhile...

K_L

SG Special was awesome. I once had this urge with the SG to break into TNT in the middle of Folsom Prison Blues, and it scared me, so I found an LP I like. LP looks the part better for a broader selection of music.

That is a GREAT post! :rofl

kevs

Thanks K, yeah, odd how this evolves, maybe I'll get LP one day, but man, this SG standard, laminated, beautiful, creamy tones and about 1/2 price and weight of a beautiful LP....

Now the LP that I did like recently at guitar center... looks/ sounds, were these if anyone has opinion, feel free to pipe in: (bit too pricy for now, but down the road..maybe?)

Seafoam Green only Not, blue
https://www.guitarcenter.com/Gibson/Les-Paul-Standard-2019-Electric-Guitar.gc#productDetail

Satin Wine only, not other colors
https://www.guitarcenter.com/Gibson/2018-Les-Paul-Classic-Player-Plus-Electric-Guitar.gc

Not crazy about any color here, not bad, but not amazing like seafoam green or wine red------, but pickups seem quite impressive
https://www.guitarcenter.com/Gibson/Les-Paul-Standard-60s-Electric-Guitar.gc

Blackjack30

SG is a good guitar. Ive had 3. Much prefer a Les Paul to an SG tho. Also prefer an Explorer to an SG, just better tone.

Guitar Whiskey

Agree with what you said; the hardware has an effect, but the density or weight of the major components; i.e. the body wood and neck wood also play a big role determining if there will be neck dive. Some SG's have the neck joint further from the body and therefore the strap button is placed back closer to the headstock. Like I said earlier with all the variable you have to be choosy but there are great ones out there. In my experience Grovers and a stop tail are a good reciepe for neck dive. Tulip style and a vibrola will likely balance nicely.

To further explain this balancing issue; here is '61 (note button is in line with the bottom of the horn radius) and a '69 (note button is in line with the horn point).

st9DOff.jpg

wBGpIFz.jpg

Brian Krashpad

I'm more of a Les Paul guy, and have a batch across several price points. But then, it's not really about need, so I have a 490 loaded SG as well. For funsies.

27276583679_b1a553bb37_o.jpg

kevs

To further explain this balancing issue; here is '61 (note button is in line with the bottom of the horn radius) and a '69 (note button is in line with the horn point).

Thanks Whisky, what is the point of the horn thing? Are you saying by '69 the issue was addressed? Just guessing. Thanks Message is too short, so I'm typing more now.The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 1 characters.The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 1 characters.

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 1 characters.

kevs

Brian, nice photo thanks, what do the different Pauls give you from one another?

Do you find the SG is more comfortable being so much lighter? And do you find the sound of the SG is on par with Pauls?