• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

How do Navigator or G'Seven guitars get away with the open book headstock?

Dakota

img_7440.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

deytookerjaabs

I'd suspect it's because the laws in Japan regarding ownership of a shape of wood for an instrument are probably a bit different.

Dave P

I've noticed some of the stuff coming out of the Fujigen factory like FGN, STR, History and Cool Z have altered headstocks

jwguitar

For a second I thought that G seven was actually a Gibson logo! That’s very creative how they made a name up for the sole reason that it looks like it says “Gibson” on the headstock. Well played!

zacknorton

Gibson’s TM protections only have practical teeth in the us. Maybe a little in N Am....but mostly only on the us.

duaneflowers

Probably because Gibson pilfered it from the Orbra Wallace (O.W.) Appleton 1941 design and Japanese courts would most likely laugh Gibson out of the courtroom if they tried to claim ownership of the design...

web%20APP%20headstock.jpg

deytookerjaabs

Orville used the open book later on in his days.

But, it goes back much further than Orville. It's on all sorts of old world instruments.