The Fender Forum
NEW! LPF Facebook Page
NEW! LPF Instagram Page
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 40 of 49
  1. #1

    Id Gibson Les Paul Custom

    Hello, they sell me this Gibson but for the serial number I can't know its year of manufacture. Number: 503179 missing the cover and nut adjusting the soul and the nut is changed. I would be very grateful for your help in identifying the year of manufacture. Thank you and excuse my English

  2. #2

    Re: Id Gibson Les Paul Custom


  3. #3

    Re: Id Gibson Les Paul Custom


  4. #4

    Re: Id Gibson Les Paul Custom


  5. #5

    Re: Id Gibson Les Paul Custom


  6. #6
    Les Paul Forum Member Trans-Am's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    BC, Canada
    Posts
    4,621

    Re: Id Gibson Les Paul Custom

    CHIBSON!!!
    Old WOOD Is Good WOOD !!!

  7. #7

    Re: Id Gibson Les Paul Custom

    Trans-am, Thank you for your reply, although I doubt it is a Chinese copy. I found a page on the internet where with that serial number it could be 1965/1968.

  8. #8
    Les Paul Forum Member Shocktop99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Somewhere between Here and There
    Posts
    85

    Re: Id Gibson Les Paul Custom

    Quote Originally Posted by Trans-Am View Post
    CHIBSON!!!
    I would not say that. It is a real Gibson looks to be a late 60s early 70's LP due to the missing dot over the "I" and is a good reason why you can't look up the serial number! also knobs correspond with a late 60's early 70 LP a better way to get a correct date ( or close to) would be to date the pots in the control cavity if they are original to the guitar! also check pickups as well!
    1979 Wine Red Gibson Les Paul Custom
    2019 Mills Custom Amp Atlas 50 Watt
    1974 Gray Les Paul Custom
    2020 Pelham Blue SG
    1984 Roland Jazz Chorus 120
    2019 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe George Benson Signature
    2019 2x12OG Emperor Cab
    1983 Fender Stratocaster Elite

    "When you plug it in... when it gets electric, its just a complete different world."

    -Adam Jones Circa 1994

    "Live wrong and Perspire"
    -Anonymous

  9. #9
    Les Paul Forum Member Trans-Am's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    BC, Canada
    Posts
    4,621

    Re: Id Gibson Les Paul Custom

    Ahahahaha take 'er easy fella's, It's the only way we can get an answer for the OP

    Now were getting somewhere. Will see where this goes as if I can recall? I haven't come across this kind of model if it did really exist.

    If you guys know anymore than we might know please share your take and your source. I am interested really.

    I did like the waffle back tuners tho' But the stamped border serial number inside?

    Now lets see the insides of the pickups/tenon etc.?
    Old WOOD Is Good WOOD !!!

  10. #10
    Les Paul Forum Member Big Al's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Lake Ontario shore
    Posts
    13,962

    Re: Id Gibson Les Paul Custom

    Kalamazoo made early post 70 Custom. Serial # is suspect. I've not seen one like that.
    Last edited by Big Al; 10-24-19 at 12:19 PM.
    The older I get, the better I was.

  11. #11
    Les Paul Forum Co-Owner Tom Wittrock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Lost in the Ozarks [again]
    Posts
    42,570

    Re: Id Gibson Les Paul Custom

    Quote Originally Posted by Shocktop99 View Post
    ... also knobs correspond with a late 60's early 70 LP …
    I disagree. Those knobs don't look like any Gibson knobs I have ever seen.
    Pauls to the walls!

    Hüter der Flammen!

    PLEASE SUPPORT www.burstserial.com !!
    Click here: www.burstserial.com

  12. #12
    Les Paul Forum Member LeonC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Palos Verdes, CA
    Posts
    252

    Re: Id Gibson Les Paul Custom

    I don't recall ever having seen a Les Paul Custom (or any other Gibson?) with an oval around the serial number like that. Anyone else see that done before?

    Also, the N in the Gibson logo appears to be way closer to the binding than what I've seen in the past.

    It does seem a bit fishy to me. Any shots of the control cavity inards? Or pickup cavities and backs of pickups?

    You'll want those if you don't have 'em...
    Full Disclosure: I built Valclone Amps

  13. #13
    Les Paul Forum Member Texas Blues's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Republic of Texas
    Posts
    4,586

    Re: Id Gibson Les Paul Custom

    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Wittrock View Post
    I disagree. Those knobs don't look like any Gibson knobs I have ever seen.
    Those knobs.

    Standing up like wet t-shirt night in january.

    Are they supposed to be witch hats?

    Or Abraham Lincoln stovepipes?

  14. #14
    Les Paul Forum Member LeonC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Palos Verdes, CA
    Posts
    252

    Re: Id Gibson Les Paul Custom

    All my late 60s Les Paul Customs have had witch hats
    Full Disclosure: I built Valclone Amps

  15. #15
    Les Paul Forum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Concord, Ca USA
    Posts
    661

    Re: Id Gibson Les Paul Custom

    My guess is a refin 75-77 with the serial sticker painted over and an incorrect or partial number stamped through the sticker! It should have 8 digits but the sticker gives it away!
    http://guitarhq.com/gibson.html




    Quote Originally Posted by rafalynch View Post
    53 LP, 74 Black Beauty, 09 50th R9 LP, 06 R6, 63 SG Special, 62 & 64 SG juniors, 60 Double Six, 1947 L7 and 1937-41 L30 archtops and a few Fenders, Voxs and Hagstroms,
    ___________
    Scott

  16. #16
    Les Paul Forum Member AA00475Bassman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Some place between bad wood & good wood
    Posts
    2,709

    Re: Id Gibson Les Paul Custom

    I find the truss rod cavity suspect , serial # no go was this purchased from Howard Leese ?
    Ive never confused owning a bunch of high end gear with being some kind of a guitar player I'm a hack and I love guitars !

    The myth :The most disturbing thing about buying a fake Les Paul is how my research after the purchase is received by Forum members ??? 2020

    The Myth: Neat wiring layouts always equate to great-sounding amps.

    The Myth: If I would have lived with MOM & mooched till I was 48 I would play like Clapton !
    Think about it
    won't you ...... Please !

  17. #17
    Les Paul Forum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Concord, Ca USA
    Posts
    661

    Re: Id Gibson Les Paul Custom

    Quote Originally Posted by AA00475Bassman View Post
    I find the truss rod cavity suspect , serial # no go was this purchased from Howard Leese ?
    I just took the truss rod cover off of my 74 and it looks the same as this one.
    It's missing the nut, LOL!
    53 LP, 74 Black Beauty, 09 50th R9 LP, 06 R6, 63 SG Special, 62 & 64 SG juniors, 60 Double Six, 1947 L7 and 1937-41 L30 archtops and a few Fenders, Voxs and Hagstroms,
    ___________
    Scott

  18. #18
    Les Paul Forum Co-Owner Tom Wittrock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Lost in the Ozarks [again]
    Posts
    42,570

    Re: Id Gibson Les Paul Custom

    Quote Originally Posted by LeonC View Post
    All my late 60s Les Paul Customs have had witch hats
    Yes, and maybe this one should have witchhats, but those aren't witchhats.
    Pauls to the walls!

    Hüter der Flammen!

    PLEASE SUPPORT www.burstserial.com !!
    Click here: www.burstserial.com

  19. #19
    Les Paul Forum Co-Owner Tom Wittrock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Lost in the Ozarks [again]
    Posts
    42,570

    Re: Id Gibson Les Paul Custom

    Neck is maple.
    I seem to remember a few serial numbers like that, right around the time they used some similar shaped decals.
    I thought they were weird, but original.
    I wish I had taken photos, but it was long ago.
    Pauls to the walls!

    Hüter der Flammen!

    PLEASE SUPPORT www.burstserial.com !!
    Click here: www.burstserial.com

  20. #20

    Re: Id Gibson Les Paul Custom

    Thank you very much for your answers, The mast is seen in the cavity of the soul the red color of mahogany, it is not maple. I am confused with the variety of answers, but before making any offer I will disassemble the pickups and electronics cavity to photograph the potentiometers. thank you
    Last edited by rafalynch; 10-23-19 at 11:16 PM.

  21. #21
    Les Paul Forum Member Big Al's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Lake Ontario shore
    Posts
    13,962

    Re: Id Gibson Les Paul Custom

    Quote Originally Posted by maxwedge View Post
    My guess is a refin 75-77 with the serial sticker painted over and an incorrect or partial number stamped through the sticker! It should have 8 digits but the sticker gives it away!
    http://guitarhq.com/gibson.html
    I disagree. It may be a refin but it is early 70's Kalamazoo with wonky amp knobs. Cavity is most likely old plunge rout without grounding plate and should have modified tenon. The oval may be a result of refin attempt to salvage original #, idk, it is odd but not a 75-77 decal.
    The older I get, the better I was.

  22. #22
    Les Paul Forum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Concord, Ca USA
    Posts
    661

    Re: Id Gibson Les Paul Custom

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    I disagree. It may be a refin but it is early 70's Kalamazoo with wonky amp knobs. Cavity is most likely old plunge rout without grounding plate and should have modified tenon. The oval may be a result of refin attempt to salvage original #, idk, it is odd but not a 75-77 decal.
    Need pictures of the pickup, cavitys and pot numbers but if the number is legit it's a 74-75 here https://www.guitardaterproject.org/gibson.aspx and http://guitarhq.com/gibson.html.
    Where's the made in USA stamp? If it's later it would have been on the sticker.
    53 LP, 74 Black Beauty, 09 50th R9 LP, 06 R6, 63 SG Special, 62 & 64 SG juniors, 60 Double Six, 1947 L7 and 1937-41 L30 archtops and a few Fenders, Voxs and Hagstroms,
    ___________
    Scott

  23. #23
    Les Paul Forum Co-Owner Tom Wittrock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Lost in the Ozarks [again]
    Posts
    42,570

    Re: Id Gibson Les Paul Custom

    Quote Originally Posted by rafalynch View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rafalynch View Post
    Thank you very much for your answers, The mast is seen in the cavity of the soul the red color of mahogany, it is not maple. I am confused with the variety of answers, but before making any offer I will disassemble the pickups and electronics cavity to photograph the potentiometers. thank you
    I have no idea what this sentence means [the mast? ] but the above photo clearly shows maple in the truss rod cavity.
    Pauls to the walls!

    Hüter der Flammen!

    PLEASE SUPPORT www.burstserial.com !!
    Click here: www.burstserial.com

  24. #24
    Les Paul Forum Member MeHereNow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Emmen
    Posts
    649

    Re: Id Gibson Les Paul Custom

    There's a lot of examples of (mostly) early/mid 70's gibsons with exact that same oval around the ser.nr. to be found on the web.
    So, coincidence, or a method used by gibson to restore a factory flaw when stamping the serial number perhaps?

    https://forum.gibson.com/topic/11353...ker-did-these/

    https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discu...number-marking
    Get my money, buy my medicine...

  25. #25
    Les Paul Forum Member Trans-Am's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    BC, Canada
    Posts
    4,621

    Re: Id Gibson Les Paul Custom

    This is getting interesting, with all different conflicting take. Could this be a hack job that once was a real thing with all the other parts replaced/added or?
    Old WOOD Is Good WOOD !!!

  26. #26

    Re: Id Gibson Les Paul Custom

    Thank you very much, I think that neck wood is mahogany, the color is reddish and not clear like the maple, I have a custom paul 79 of 3 pieces of maple on the neck and it is another color. I think the guitar has been repainted and I am afraid that the reason is because of the breakage of the headstock and its subsequent repair. Next Saturday I will go see her in person and take pictures of the more detailed pieces. If the price is reasonable, I may buy it. Thank you



  27. #27

    Re: Id Gibson Les Paul Custom

    This is my Gibson 79 ... you can see the difference in the color of the wood of the mahogany body and that of the maple neck.


  28. #28
    Les Paul Forum Member Big Al's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Lake Ontario shore
    Posts
    13,962

    Re: Id Gibson Les Paul Custom

    Quote Originally Posted by MeHereNow View Post
    There's a lot of examples of (mostly) early/mid 70's gibsons with exact that same oval around the ser.nr. to be found on the web.
    So, coincidence, or a method used by gibson to restore a factory flaw when stamping the serial number perhaps?

    https://forum.gibson.com/topic/11353...ker-did-these/

    https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discu...number-marking
    Thank you for that info. I've owned many 73-75 Gibbys and sold more and never saw that. I do know that number isn't stamped over a decal though.
    The older I get, the better I was.

  29. #29
    Les Paul Forum Member MeHereNow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Emmen
    Posts
    649

    Re: Id Gibson Les Paul Custom

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    Thank you for that info. I've owned many 73-75 Gibbys and sold more and never saw that. I do know that number isn't stamped over a decal though.
    There were several threads on other boards as well about the exact same anomalies, none of which came to a closing conclusion about what/how/who regarding the ovals.
    And maybe there never will.

    Best shot we have is asking LPF's member StringsJr.
    If 1 man could know the background info, chances are he knows it.
    Get my money, buy my medicine...

  30. #30
    Les Paul Forum Member Billy Porter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Northumbria
    Posts
    1,080

    Re: Id Gibson Les Paul Custom

    Quote Originally Posted by maxwedge View Post
    Need pictures of the pickup, cavitys and pot numbers but if the number is legit it's a 74-75 here https://www.guitardaterproject.org/gibson.aspx and http://guitarhq.com/gibson.html.
    Where's the made in USA stamp? If it's later it would have been on the sticker.
    Wow. Turns out my Les Paul is 1964 or...…..1999 or ……….2001
    You’re never alone with a schizophrenic

  31. #31
    Les Paul Forum Member Big Al's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Lake Ontario shore
    Posts
    13,962

    Re: Id Gibson Les Paul Custom

    Quote Originally Posted by MeHereNow View Post
    There were several threads on other boards as well about the exact same anomalies, none of which came to a closing conclusion about what/how/who regarding the ovals.
    And maybe there never will.

    Best shot we have is asking LPF's member StringsJr.
    If 1 man could know the background info, chances are he knows it.
    Way before his time and maybe wrong factory. From what I saw at Kalamazoo in the late 70's, operations weren't set in stone. Machinery goes down, guitars need to get made and out come backups. Kalamazoo was an old factory with old school production ethics from the "get 'er done" school. Not common, but it did happen enough that those of us who have an interest in the build process and production machinery and methods have found authentic oddities enough to know you can't always count on stable production signatures.

    I've seen wonky pickup routs, cavity shapes, missing widows peaks etc., etc., etc. Nickle and chrome on the same guitar, paf and Ttop bobbins on the same pickup, oval border stamped serial #'s, ..... most always on Kalamazoo made instruments. You cannot put all the onus on a single spec as far as authenticity.
    The older I get, the better I was.

  32. #32
    Les Paul Forum Member Trans-Am's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    BC, Canada
    Posts
    4,621

    Re: Id Gibson Les Paul Custom

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    Way before his time and maybe wrong factory. From what I saw at Kalamazoo in the late 70's, operations weren't set in stone. Machinery goes down, guitars need to get made and out come backups. Kalamazoo was an old factory with old school production ethics from the "get 'er done" school. Not common, but it did happen enough that those of us who have an interest in the build process and production machinery and methods have found authentic oddities enough to know you can't always count on stable production signatures.

    I've seen wonky pickup routs, cavity shapes, missing widows peaks etc., etc., etc. Nickle and chrome on the same guitar, paf and Ttop bobbins on the same pickup, oval border stamped serial #'s, ..... most always on Kalamazoo made instruments. You cannot put all the onus on a single spec as far as authenticity.
    Now " B " Stock is another story nowhere near this post and worth the buy these days really. The Kalamazoo sure had it's heyday before things went south on them.

    That serial number oval markings threw a curve ball
    Old WOOD Is Good WOOD !!!

  33. #33

    Re: Id Gibson Les Paul Custom

    In the end I bought him, the price has been very reasonable and I could not resist. I upload photos of the pitenciometers in case you can help me date them. Thank you


    upload images

  34. #34

    Re: Id Gibson Les Paul Custom


  35. #35

    Re: Id Gibson Les Paul Custom


  36. #36

    Re: Id Gibson Les Paul Custom


  37. #37

    Re: Id Gibson Les Paul Custom


  38. #38

    Re: Id Gibson Les Paul Custom


  39. #39

    Re: Id Gibson Les Paul Custom


  40. #40

    Re: Id Gibson Les Paul Custom


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Scroll Down And Click On All Of Our Sponsors' Logos For Their Websites!




i