• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Gibson les paul classic 1960, 2001, looking for advice / guidance

Cosmo23

Hi, new to this site and relatively new to the wonders of guitars, I am looking for some advice about a guitar I'm thinking of purchasing, I don't have a huge amount of detailed info on it but here's what I do have.

Gibson Les Paul classic 1960,
The year is 2001
T - Tops pickups
Sunburst top.

My local guitar shop are selling it for one of there customers ( private sale ) its listed as £ 1600 but I have been told I could probably get it for £ 1200.

I have played it and it feels and sounds beautiful ( far better than the 2018 / 19 models I have also tried )

I realise that without pictures or more specific information it will be hard if not impossible to know for sure, but what do you guys think generally, about the price and guitar?

Big Al

Those have a lot of fans. As you have played it and found it to be worthy, I think you may already have your answer. Ttops were on late 60's to early 80's and were not available on the Classic from that time which came stock with high output ceramic magnet loaded, exposed black coils, (coverless), 500T and 496R humbuckers. So, pickups are not original to the guitar. How important that may be is your call.

jb_abides

A 2000 Classic gold top was my first Les Paul. I love my Classic! Quality was outstanding, and has remained so over ~20 years. There's nothing like you're first...

-- 1600 Pounds Sterling seems to be the nominal market price, slightly more or less, depending upon condition.

-- 1200 seems to be a deal, especially if this one ticks your boxes and you are bonding!

Per Al, ceramics are the norm and stock will give you latter Classic Rock tones. Don't know how T-Tops would sound in these guitars. But at that price, seems you could tweak and mod if you didn't like it.

:salude

Keefoman

The 2001 LP Classic has the more desirable ABR-1 bridge compared to later Classics. (Don't remember they year they started using Nashville bridge.) T-tops aren't original as they came stock with the 500T and 496R ceramic pickups. I guess most people would say T-tops is an upgrade.
At £1200 it's probably a good deal.

Cosmo23

Thanks for the input guys, I think I will go put a deposit on it and grab it next week ( if I can get it for £1200 that is )

I've had a beautiful Fender strat for 6 months and if I can score the LP for the right money I'll be very happy indeed..

Thanks again

Trans-Am

Well as it seems you may have a great deal hanging there for your take. Yes if all in OEM condition except for the pups in which you can always swap to you taste.

My 2000 Classic is all stock with a slight green snotty fret block markers in which i like as it gives a bit of vintage vibe ( Big Al ? :2cool:biggrin::## ) Price seems to be a good deal, you have nothing to lose if you ask a bit lower.

Great players and easy as like the rest to bastardized to whatever it can take. I would grab it in a heartbeat.

Cheers!

zhivago

A friend of mine has one in Cherry Sunburst and it is a great guitar...he has Fralins in it and it sounds wonderful...I'd jump on it! :salude

jb_abides

My 2000 Classic is all stock with a slight green snotty fret block markers in which i like as it gives a bit of vintage vibe

Ditto. Not a fan of the inlays. I actually tried some LPF recommendations regarding sunbathing/UV, and contemplated a makeover... which would include a refinish to see what's under the gold and end up with thinner skin...

However, I have ample alternatives so may just make my peace with the snotty green.

Keefoman

Had a 2001 Classic for years as my #1. Mounted Lollar Imperials in mine. If I could afford to at the time, I would have kept it. Great guitar in spite of a little clowny burst and snotty inlays... :hank

Trans-Am

Ditto. Not a fan of the inlays. I actually tried some LPF recommendations regarding sunbathing/UV, and contemplated a makeover... which would include a refinish to see what's under the gold and end up with thinner skin...

However, I have ample alternatives so may just make my peace with the snotty green.

Funny thing is that after a while or a few years they do seem to fade out of the greenish vomit to an off whitish/yellowish tinge, no longer green as before.:dude:

DSCF0333.jpg

Big Al

The inlays were originally an aged grayish acrylic which then was changed to the almost chartruese day glow, [snot], green. That time frame may be around the switch over. IIRC, the early greenish inlays were not as bright or nuclear looking as the later Chenoyble Green ones.