• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Deep Purple....Ritchie Blackmore, Speed King, 1970

marshall1987

Go back to the late '60s and early 1970s....you hear a lot of buzz about British and American guitar greats like Jimmy Page, Eric Clapton, Jimmy Hendrix, Jeff Beck, Peter Green, Duane Allman, etc.

But at the spearhead of the attack was Ritchie Blackmore in Deep Purple with the hit album "Deep Purple In Rock". Anyone want to take a stab at playing Speed King? :wow

<iframe width="779" height="438" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/XXgMN_KjzW0?list=RDw72jb0iwwac" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:

LeonC

The "In Rock" LP did a whole lot of spinning at my place! RB was very influential to me in my formative years. That was one of the most intense records ever put out if you ask me. Fabulous player with a great, very recognizable sound!

thin sissy

Ritchie, Jan Akkerman and Steve Howe stood out as huge pioneers of the early 70's guitar IMHO, but aren't always mentioned in the standard "top ten" articles. I wasn't around back then, but it seems to me they paved the way for the 80's shredders? There were many more great ones in this era of course :salude

ourmaninthenorth

Mk 2 Purple were some outfit. In Rock was one of the very first albums I owned, I literally wore the bugger out....

Here's an extended clip of them from the same Granada Studios (Manchester) gig featured by the OP (which I thank him for posting)

I was born within walking distance of this studio, but sadly like this gig and the famous Free session, I was too busy kicking a football and my pals around the streets of Salford....aged 6.

:salude

marshall1987

Thanks "ourmaninthenorth".

Deep Purple's seminal LP "In Rock", their breakthrough album, blew me away the first time I heard it back in 1972. So much so that I had to get tickets to see them the next time they came to town. I finally got to see them play at the Kennedy Center Concert Hall, of all places, in 1972. They were on fire and held nothing back. The level of energy in that concert hall was absolutely incredible! Girls were practically throwing themselves at Ian Gillian (the singer for those who don't know). Ritchie Blackmore just ripped your face off with his dazzling pyrotechnic-style guitar riffing. He appeared to be a sorcerer from another planet. I honestly didn't think anyone could touch Ritchie after seeing him in person. He was that good. And then there was the other three sensational band members: Ian Paice, Jon Lord, and Roger Glover. Deep Purple were easily in the "Top 10" rock bands of all time IMO. :dude:

Check out the cool vintage Gibson ES-335 "dot-neck" Ritchie plays on "Child in Time". He used that same 335 to record their first big hit "Hush" back in 1968. I think it may be a 1961 cherry finish "dot-neck" with PAFs. I sometimes wonder if he saw Eric Clapton playing a 1964 cherry ES-335 at the Royal Albert Hall Cream concert?

Last edited:

Jeff West

89406_UrOyLG_mppswGe4b_44748.jpg

He had the dot neck before Cream, and before Deep Purple.

There's another good photo out there of him playing it early on while wearing white cowboy boots! Maybe from Hamburg club. I think Mojo published it, maybe.

SpencerD

All of the Deep Purple MKII albums are really good,IMHO and all that. Who Do We Think We Are is virtually unspoken about right? Woman From Tokyo is on that record.:hee:yah

NERD EDIT --- Didja ever notice that Ian Paice is a left handed drummer? He is.... hi-hat cymbals on his right hand side.

Last edited:

marshall1987

Deep Purple "Hush" from Playboy After Dark

I always get a kick out of watching this old video of Deep Purple appearing at the Playboy Mansion in 1968. Thing is I can't tell if it is lip-sync or live?

<iframe width="552" height="454" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/KiXcqxms3Bs?list=RD7zKAS7XOWaQ" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

ourmaninthenorth

I'd say that was live.

Didn't take them that long to get to this...which is the performance I always go back to. A juggernaut of a Band.

Been posted many times before, but I never tire of it.

ourmaninthenorth

The OP clip of Purple from Granada studios is a cracker, as is the other great set from the same studio of FREE ( which is always the first thing I think of when this studio is mentioned )

Spookily look what's just popped up on farcebook, right at the top of my feed, either them buggers are watching me, or it's a coincidence.

They're out to get me I tells yer....

What a night this would have been...........

72545861_2554763801411484_4283335699928711168_n.png

marshall1987

Wow! That must have been a memorable rock concert!

I'm thinking this must have been around 1970? And only 1 pound general admission (?? in US dollars, what, $4.00 perhaps?). Both Free and Deep Purple on the same bill. Love the start and end time for the show (7:30 - 2 a.m.)

I sure hope the promoters had the sense to put Free on first, before Deep Purple. :peace2. I would not want to follow Deep Purple. :hee

marshall1987

89406_UrOyLG_mppswGe4b_44748.jpg

He had the dot neck before Cream, and before Deep Purple.

There's another good photo out there of him playing it early on while wearing white cowboy boots! Maybe from Hamburg club. I think Mojo published it, maybe.

Is this the photo you're talking about?