The Fender Forum
NEW! LPF Facebook Page
NEW! LPF Instagram Page
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite
    Les Paul Forum Member

FSOT 1956 Les Paul Special

Meet the PIRATE! A real tone monster. It has a patch and all. This is a killer player grade '56 Special in its original TV Yellow finish. It resonates like a 50s Paul does and absolutely peels paint when plugged into a high powered amp. Don't miss this opportunity to get into a real vintage piece at an affordable price. It's had some parts removed (before me by a well known parts dealer). However, it is complete and killer the way it is or restore it to original. These go for about $9-12K in clean shape. I also have a couple of other vintage guitars (68 ES-345 and a 71 54/58 Lespaul Goldtop). Looking to consolidate into something cool, Gibson only (Les Pauls and Firebird). Sale price is 6K shipped insured to the lower 48.

No structural damage, no heal cracks, no headstock breaks. Blacklights well. Someone had Schallers, and Grovers on it at some point and when the holes were enlarged they did a sloppy job...boogering up the holly headstock around the holes. There is evidence of stress lines and chipping around the holes in the thin layer of holly wood. But this is NOT structural. This is cosmetic in the holly only, not the mahogany. Anyone who has drilled for Grovers knows you have to block the holes if you drill all the way thru.

Here is the deal on the patch. Some fool back in the day chiseled out a cavity on the top for a fender jaguar tremolo. I am sure it worked great but it is blasphemy. So the "patch" covers the cavity. It is not thru the body and is clean. The prior owner put the patch on to cover it using the tremolo holes. I think it looks cool.

The pickup cavities are clean and NOT routed. The control cavities on the back are clean and NOT routed. Truss rod works well and neck is straight. It has a jumbo refret some time in the past.

Below is a listing of what's period correct and what is not:

Paint/finish original, wonderful patina, checking and nice to wear lines
    Binding original
    Poker chip switch ring original
    Pickup covers original
    Pickups are real deal 50s P-90s
    Pick guard appears original
    Nut appears original
    Strap buttons appear original

Wiring harness modern with CTS pots and orange drop caps.
    Tailpiece and Studs modern (Tone pros)
    Back plastic covers modern
    Control knobs modern
    Switch tip unknown. Assume modern.
    Truss rod cover
    Kluson tuners modern repros
    Jack plate is not original
    Jumbo refret, great feel
    Case is not original and it is a new good quality case

As far as trades go, I really want either a 72 Firebird Medallion, a 72 54/58 Reissue Les Paul, or a 72 Les Paul Custom Reissue (with P90s and Staples).

For pics: https://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/msg...973441155.html
    Last edited by macg1; 09-07-19 at 04:19 PM. Reason: fixed title