• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

2015 Traditional Nut Width

LeanJvR

Hi guys,

I'm thinking of buying my next LP, a 2015 Traditional and mod it to my liking.

I want to know something - The real reason why I specifically want to mod the 2015 model, is my interest in the wider 1.795" (45.5mm) nut-width.

I have big hands and find the usual nut width just ever so slightly cramped.

With the wider nut width, is it possible to replace the nut and use a slightly wider string spacing as found on the usual Gibson nut width of 1.695" (43mm)?

Some say the string spacing on the 2015 T nut is the same as on the 1.695 nut, the 2015 only has that extra playing space on the outside of the 2 e-strings?

Will it bother if I use a wider string spacing coming down to the same bridge and tailpiece fittings?
Common sense tells me the slight change in spacing and converging down the distance of the fingerboard will be minute and won’t give any trouble???

Any advice and opinions will be appreciated!

Cheers!

Big Al

I told you on the other thread. Yes they are spaced just as all the other Les Pauls. Yes the extra width is outside the two e strings. You can use a wider spacing with no adverse effect. Yes, you owe me a beer.

Big Al

Thanks. Much appreciated.

I'm not sure of all the aftermarket direct replacement options available, [exact contraption drop ins], I remember Tusq offered one, but I don't remember if it was an entire bone type that would allow custom spacing, [you want this], or incorporated the metal shoe and preslotted stock spread, [not for you]. Whichever one allows custom slots and fits that models wider/thicker nut slot is what you want. Search ebay and Reverb too, as some smaller builders may offer one.

Worse case, you get a large enough blank and craft one.

LeanJvR

The plan is to go to a luthier and put in a bone nut with custom slots.