• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Compare '58, '59, '60 bursts and R9

blewsbreaker

It's not my first choice for an amp, but the 414EB will get you plenty of decent frequency response. There's a few culprits here, but the mic isn't one of them.
Yeah, wasn't bagging on the 414 as much as the miking technique, ie lack of a room mic to combine with the close miked 414.

el84ster

No ones mentioned how awesome it is to live in times when the reissue tone is so close to a burst. That’s crazy! Pretty awesome if you ask me.

goldtop0

No ones mentioned how awesome it is to live in times when the reissue tone is so close to a burst. That’s crazy! Pretty awesome if you ask me.

I put that down in part to the Custombucker pups.

Torshalla

Thanks for sharing, pretty cool video!
I think bottom line it s all subjective... I liked the 59 best but I would guess it just down to these 4 guitars and I am sure there are re issues that I would prefer to all these 4... and that there are real 59s that I would not like as much as any of these 4 guitars haha
To me it just shows how close re issues are to the real deal :)

PHILBERT

Really fairly small tonal differences, newer Historics with Custom Buckers would be perhaps even closer to vintage pieces.

All hyde glue would make a big difference. Pre hyde glue Les Pauls sound dull to me. I never met one I liked. And although Custombuckers are better than shrill Burstbuckers, I would want to hear better PAF repro pickups, as well.

Phil

sws1

But not like butter.
The vintage ones are recorded also........so it's same conditions apples with apples no matter which way you look at it.

Missed my point. A recording brings them guitars alot closer. In person, the difference is greater.

goldtop0

In person, the difference is greater.

Are you sure about that??
I've played a few bursts over the years and the variation in tone between them can be marked..........some historic LPs hold up well played side by side against the old ones imho......my '13 R8 for example.

This is an around and around we go discussion and totally subjective.......it has no end, on which I'm sure you will agree.

sws1

Are you sure about that??
I've played a few bursts over the years and the variation in tone between them can be marked..........some historic LPs hold up well played side by side against the old ones imho......my '13 R8 for example.

This is an around and around we go discussion and totally subjective.......it has no end, on which I'm sure you will agree.

What I'm saying that the difference between any 2 guitars is greater in person than when those same 2 guitars are put through a microphone (most often, a 'colored' microphone), which doesn't have the sensitivity of the human ear.

goldtop0

What I'm saying that the difference between any 2 guitars is greater in person than when those same 2 guitars are put through a microphone (most often, a 'colored' microphone), which doesn't have the sensitivity of the human ear.

That's for sure.

57gold

Interesting attempt at a comparison. Assume that amp settings were identical, which is one approach. But pick up outputs vary in how they hit the first tube which will be impactful.

So to me, having an amp that can be volume matched but tweaked to extract each instrument's voice + an accomplished player (versus the very rudimentary playing done on the video) = a better comparison.

My initial reaction was that the 1959 had to most complex tone, more going on, and a tweak to the amp's treble pot would have been needed. Similarly, the 1960 had a more upper midrange focused voice and a tweak to the bass control would have filled it out, whilst retaining its other qualities. The 1958 needed a volume pot adjustment up, guessing it had lower output pick ups. The 2008 did not sound bad, but had less character and warmth than the vintage instruments.

YMMV.

Reactions: C-4

Bouldergold

I did similar tests.
Original 60 Burst
52-57 Conversion
53-57 Conversion
2016 R9 that was purchased from Vic Dapra
The three older guitars were similar.
The R9 was very close tone and feel.
Keeping my 53-57

I did decide to sell the 2016 R9 if anybody is interested

Wally

what do you mean?
Exactly what I wrote... I went back to the video, and I have not changed my thinking because my hearing is still good. I don’t care for anything I hear him playing. I don’t care for his pick attack in particular.

frenchphil

Exactly what I wrote... I went back to the video, and I have not changed my thinking because my hearing is still good. I don’t care for anything I hear him playing. I don’t care for his pick attack in particular.
ok fine i dont get all the nuances cause i m french but never mind