• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

SG modern to 70s conversion

Axelorox

Is it possible for a talented luthier to mod a modern SG standard to one with 1973 specs? I ask because I play left-handed and early 1970s SGs in good condition are exceedingly rare.

zacknorton

What are the 70’s specs you’re looking for?

Skinny nut? Harmonica bridge? Volute?

Flat body without the bevels?

Big Al

What are the 70’s specs you’re looking for?

Skinny nut? Harmonica bridge? Volute?

Flat body without the bevels?

Big headstock?

Small block inlay?

Awful Gibson stamped Klusons?

14 degree headstock angle?

Wide low, low profile frets?

Three piece body, three piece neck?

Axelorox

All of the above? I didn't know too many of the 70s SG specs offhand... mainly the different neck joining, pickup spacing(?), volute, lower frets. But it seems that if the specs are that different I may be better off getting a replica... I am not sure Gibson CS would be interested in such a commission.

The 70s SG is very special to me because hearing/watching Jimmy McCulloch from the Wings Over America tour in 1976 is what inspired me to start playing electric guitar all those years ago. So some day I would like to honor that inspiration with a version of the guitar that started it all for me.

Here are the best photos I could find of said guitar:

9b9138f9e6b6e22e625892889a34e051.jpg

kqcwZ3c.png