• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Testing SD Seth Lover and 490/498 on my 1980 Les Paul Custom.

belensky

Probably I'm in minority but a really dislike 70's Gibson T top and 80's Tim Shaw Pickups.
Some time ago I bought this nice 1980 Les Paul custom which came with Seymour Duncan Seth Lover pickups, which is essentially PAF style pickup. I'm more in to heavy music so Gibson 490/498 is a good option for me. I know that not many fans of them but I think they are really great pickups if you want classic gibson sound with more output, anyway here is my short video with both pickups.

Last edited:

AA00475Bassman

I removed the Tim Shaw pickups both my 82 Modern, Flying V IMO terrible sound if that's PAF you can keep it !!

mdubya

The Seths sound more open and dynamic to my ears.

Nothing wrong with the 490/498's though, if you like them.

I think most "heavy" tones kind of suck. You can play heavy music without over the top heavy tones. But it is about preference.

It seems like all that gain and dead sounding pickups is to make it easier to play that style, not to necessarily sound better.

nwobhm is the heaviest I go. I play the rhythms with plexi or metal panel type tones. I love that tone. Modern players would think it sucks, not enough gain.

My gain-y tones come from fuzz, primarily. Again, I love it. Modern players would cringe.

e.g. tones I love, heavy music, perfect with T-Tops:

sonar

I've always liked the 490/498 pickups (the 498 a little more) in a non-traditional PAF kinda way. Great for 80's hard rock.

Just recently I mentioned that a friend pulled a HFS out of his early 90's PRF and replaced it with a 498T, which we both believe was a significantly better match with that guitar. He's been gigging that guitar for years with the 498T, so that's something.

Coincidentally, I've been happily playing Seth Lovers in my Les Paul for a few years now. Good, not crazy expensive pickups that sound nothing like 490R/498T's.

If I were ever to revisit the music of my youth I'd consider this set, a Duncan JB/Jazz, or even a Burstbucker Pro set.