• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

2019 Factory Tour - new video (Premier Guitar with CMO Cesar Gueikian)

jb_abides

Description -
Go behind the scenes and see new Les Pauls, SGs, Explorers and more at the famed guitar outfit’s newly consolidated Nashville facility.
Premier Guitar last toured Nashville’s Gibson USA factory in 2012, so we recently went back inside for a tour of today’s facility. Guided by master luthier Jim DeCola and chief merchant officer Cesar Gueikian, John Bohlinger put on the safety goggles to get a full rundown of how the entire manufacturing process works, starting at the rough mill. We see how Gibson’s skilled builders handle intricate body work, route channeling, binding, neck fitting, finishing, and everything in between.

In 2018, the ES model production line moved from Memphis back to Nashville, so all electric Gibson guitars are now made in Music City (acoustics are made at a factory in Bozeman, Montana). Fun fact: The Gibson factory still uses machinery from the original plant in Kalamazoo, Michigan. So the sides of a 1958 ES-335 were pressed by the same machine that presses a 2019 ES-335’s sides. Technology does the heavy lifting, but humans are still integral to the lutherie process, wrapping binding in specific sequences, aligning and gluing parts, spraying finishes, and more.

Enjoy... :salude

Last edited:

marshall1987

Actually this is a very good video tour of the Gibson Nashville factory where the USA models are built. I'd like to see a similar tour of the Gibson Custom Shop division, especially now that there are many new faces over there in management.

lvidal

They insert an RFID under the fingerboard??? This is some kind of antitheft and precise ID feature?
I mean, that sounds really great when buying a used guitar. If the instrument have a theft report then Gibson can warn the potential buyer and probably inform the original owner. Gibson should market that a lot more.

lvidal

Ok I did a little research and it turns out that they have used RFID chips for a number of years now, but it seems like it's only intended for internal use of Gibson. Well, I didn't knew that.

They insert an RFID under the fingerboard??? This is some kind of antitheft and precise ID feature?
I mean, that sounds really great when buying a used guitar. If the instrument have a theft report then Gibson can warn the potential buyer and probably inform the original owner. Gibson should market that a lot more.