The Fender Forum
NEW! LPF Facebook Page
NEW! LPF Instagram Page
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite

2019 Factory Tour - new video (Premier Guitar with CMO Cesar Gueikian)

Description -
    Go behind the scenes and see new Les Pauls, SGs, Explorers and more at the famed guitar outfit’s newly consolidated Nashville facility.
    Premier Guitar last toured Nashville’s Gibson USA factory in 2012, so we recently went back inside for a tour of today’s facility. Guided by master luthier Jim DeCola and chief merchant officer Cesar Gueikian, John Bohlinger put on the safety goggles to get a full rundown of how the entire manufacturing process works, starting at the rough mill. We see how Gibson’s skilled builders handle intricate body work, route channeling, binding, neck fitting, finishing, and everything in between.

In 2018, the ES model production line moved from Memphis back to Nashville, so all electric Gibson guitars are now made in Music City (acoustics are made at a factory in Bozeman, Montana). Fun fact: The Gibson factory still uses machinery from the original plant in Kalamazoo, Michigan. So the sides of a 1958 ES-335 were pressed by the same machine that presses a 2019 ES-335’s sides. Technology does the heavy lifting, but humans are still integral to the lutherie process, wrapping binding in specific sequences, aligning and gluing parts, spraying finishes, and more.

Enjoy...
    Last edited by jb_abides; 08-29-19 at 09:23 PM.

Les Paul Forum Member marshall1987's Avatar
    Feuding With "Devil Anse" Hatfield on the Tug Fork

Re: 2019 Factory Tour - new video (Premier Guitar with CMO Cesar Gueikian)

Actually this is a very good video tour of the Gibson Nashville factory where the USA models are built. I'd like to see a similar tour of the Gibson Custom Shop division, especially now that there are many new faces over there in management.
    "Scan not a friend under a microscopic glass; you know his faults so let his foibles pass".

Sir Frank Crisp
    Friar Park
    London, England

Les Paul Forum Member

They insert an RFID under the fingerboard??? This is some kind of antitheft and precise ID feature?
    I mean, that sounds really great when buying a used guitar. If the instrument have a theft report then Gibson can warn the potential buyer and probably inform the original owner. Gibson should market that a lot more.

Les Paul Forum Member

Ok I did a little research and it turns out that they have used RFID chips for a number of years now, but it seems like it's only intended for internal use of Gibson. Well, I didn't knew that.

Quote Originally Posted by lvidal View Post
    They insert an RFID under the fingerboard??? This is some kind of antitheft and precise ID feature?
    I mean, that sounds really great when buying a used guitar. If the instrument have a theft report then Gibson can warn the potential buyer and probably inform the original owner. Gibson should market that a lot more.