• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Kemper Stage

mingus

I do a lot of fly-in dates where I’m at the mercy of whomever is supplying backline and it’s typically a bit underwhelming.

I’m considering the newly released Kemper Stage unit, which would allow for consistent sound from venue to venue. Does anyone here have experience with these or the Kemper ‘toasters’ that can offer any advice or pros/cons of such a setup on the road?

Thanks in advance. :salude

Progear

I would head over to the Kemper forum, lots of info there...

i would recommend the Kemper toaster or rack before the stage model.. the stage model has just been released and is having some growing pains... I presume by the time the next update is released, stage would be a lot more stable... using Kemper live is really awesome, if you take the time to setup your patch’s and/or performances... I think once the editor and the Kemper cone is release it will make the Kemper even better.. I love my Kemper, but still like my amps also...

hope me this helps.:salude

metropolis

I've had a Kemper toaster for almost 6 months now and I'm very pleased with it.

I agree with Progear - the Stage is having some initial issues, some of them hardware so I wouldn't get that until it's been in production for a bit longer otherwise you might end up being a beta tester.

Many people prefer the rack for frequent travelling but I think the toaster and either the remote or a smaller pedal if you don't need all the fancy switching is about as portable as you can get. I can easily fit them in a travel bag that counts as hand luggage on planes.

My number one bit of feedback about the Kemper is that it's only as good as the profiles you have and I only find a relatively small % do what I want. It could be because they were set up for different guitars or playing styles, but I find myself sticking with a relatively small group I like. Once you find some good ones though it's a fantastic unit and very versatile - I've done everything from playing it through a traditional cab to having a silent in-ear monitors setup.

My other tips are to learn what all the hidden controls do where you can shape the cab and amp (things like 'definition' and 'character') as they can play a huge part in the sound.

duaneflowers

I've been using my toaster for years and absolutely love it...

The stage is promising, but I agree that it might be best to hold off on it until its been around a little longer, lots of issues being reported over on the kemper forum and while they are being sorted pretty quickly you never know what the future holds.

41294041_10216296063770817_3433101220938514432_n.jpg

Nick-O

I grabbed the Stage at the beginning of the month. I have been playing out with the Helix for nearly 3 years. The tones available on the Kemper blew me away, but man, did I have issues with the Stage. I was advised by Kemper tech support that Kemper Editor was coming out but not ready. The toaster and remote seems a lot of cart about each weekend, and I am pressed for space where I play. Content with the Helix for the time being but tempted all the time mentally.

Last edited:

mingus

Thank you all for the replies. :salude

I had no idea Kemper was having so many issues with the Stage Profiler. It appears to be the right solution for my situation, but I think I'll wait until they get things sorted out. I've been watching and waiting on the new Fractal Audio floor unit as well, but it hasn't yet been released. My goal is to not have to be dependent on whatever backline is available and to be able to have consistent sound from venue to venue without having to carry around any more stuff than I already take out, generally a pedal board in a flight case that I check and a guitar in a gig bag that I carry on and stow overhead. I've been doing it this way for years and if I have to wait a little while longer for the right solution that checks all the boxes (tone, size/weight, durability, function, reliability), then I will continue to wait.

mdubya

This video would be a good starting point for your question

I really like the floor layout for a modeler/profiler. I chose the Fractal AX8 because it was what I thought would work best for me. After 2.5 years with it, I think any of the available options would work.

I follow Tracii Gunns and he uses a Headrush to good effect.

I only use the AX8 at home, but it has not let me down yet. I am confident that it would be up to anything I could throw its way (including gigging).

Larry Mitchell uses an AX8 for gigs for the very reasons you cite; portability and consistency (and consistently good) from gig to gig.

I feel like I have transcended to the point where I really don't think about my classic tube amps anymore. I mean, I still have them, they sit right there for me to play any time, but modern high end modeling offers fairly incredible tones with endless flexibility at any volume.

I played my JMP 2204 recently and it sounded as good as it ever did. I was a bit nervous switching back to the AX8. Well, I wasn't the least bit disappointed. The AX8 tone was, dare I say, equally good? :hmm

kojack19

I have had a stage for a few weeks now and absolutely love it. Will keep my amps but it is just so good on so many levels. I have not had any tech issues. There is some learning to do-recommend watching the tone junkie videos which are really helpful. I would not buy profiles until you learn the unit and check out some of the really good free stuff that is there. After you have worked with the free profiles, there are some good ones that you may want to buy. I personally love Rick Beato's Plexi Profiles. They are literally amazing with very little tweaking. I had a helix and could not get along with it-too much tweaking. Now I have about 5 profiles that I love and not sure that I will even need anything else. Great buy for me.

kojack19

Much prefer the Axe-FX.
To each his own I guess, I have owned or spent extensive time with a Helix, Axe and an Atomic and it is not close for me. I am not a big fx person just looking for the best version of an amp when I can't have one and this is it for me-Fender blackface, tweed, Marshall plexi to mod JCM 800. I have a couple of nice examples of some of these amps and the Kemper is really close. Not perfect but no digital artifacts and also much easier to work with than some of the other devices. I am sure others with a significant amount of tweaking get everything I am feeling out of another device but the Kemper is just really easy. Time still needs to be invested but I would say it is a lot less than others for what I am trying to do. If I have to start using high and low pass filters to make something sound good and figure out if I need two eq blocks, sorry it aint for me.

lns

I've had the kemper stage since release & have had zero issues. I haven't been traveling with it though. It sounds amazing but it's a little difficult to navigate compared to the competition. But in the end, it's the tone that matters. It sound pretty much exactly like a mic'd up amp.
I wouldn't wait because a few have had some issues - Kemper is very supportive should you run into problems.
The unit is very durable & the actual hardware inside is the same as the other non-powered kempers, which have been going strong for 8 years