• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Choosing between 2018 or 2019 '59 Les Paul

Sommvern

As I look at Wildwood, what’s the general sentiment on their Wildwood spec historics? Not sure how I feel about the lower output pickups if I want to heat things up a bit. Also, are the CME historics any different or just a unique serial on the headstock?

jb_abides

Sentiment on both spec'd guitars have been good, but that sentiment tends to come from more traditional, vintage-y perspectives.

You asked about CME. They are essentially True Historic spec [as are those Reissues following the demise of that appellation], with woods, tops, and bursts "sorted" or picked by CME plus with a CME serial stamp. Many feature CME-spec "S-Buckers" Custombuckers with Alcino 3 magnets which tend to give PAF inspired open cleans, that can be driven a bit... [I have a CME, but not a WW-spec, BTW].

You've indicated a preference for hotter, high-gain. Both these feature under-wound pickups.You seem to be reluctant to swap pups. Standard Reissue Custombucker will probably get you closer than these under-winders... just sayin'...

That, or get the best guitar for your fancy, and do the swap dance. And remember it's not just a matter of over/under winding, hot or not. It's a matter of how the particular quality of the pickup interacts with that guitar, wood resonance, etc. Also height and pole piece adjustment. People have been working to dial in tone to their ears/minds for some time.

You may not get there with one swing at bat.

Cheers :salude

Sommvern

Appreciate the thoughts on the CME, WW guitars. I'm admittedly having difficulty finding a guitar and starting to open up to the idea of other Les Paul options. While this may seem like me jumping around a bit, I do like the look of this Collector's Choice #37 that Dave's has. I never thought I'd buy an artificially aged guitar, but I'm starting to warm to the idea. That said, I wonder if the Burstbucker 3 pickups are representative of the Claw they modeled this guitar off of. Seems like the Custombuckers in the 60th anniversary models would probably get one closer.

https://davesguitar.com/products/gi...er-37-ronnie-proler-carmelita-59-les-paul-16/

megatrends

That would be my preference. Unfortunately I won’t be able to play these before buying.

I have the same problem, understood. I bought my three Historics online and everything was fine with them. The only recommendation I would make is buying from a reputable company with good customer service in case there is an issue.

I’m assuming Wildwood is easy to deal with.

Sommvern

I have the same problem, understood. I bought my three Historics online and everything was fine with them. The only recommendation I would make is buying from a reputable company with good customer service in case there is an issue.

I’m assuming Wildwood is easy to deal with.

Yeah, I've heard good things about Wildwood and I've found them to be helpful in the few conversations I've had with them about a couple guitars. Helps that these stores also have return policies (albeit short in some cases) vs. buying on Reverb where you're buying as-is with no ability to return if something isn't up to snuff.

Sommvern

Funny how this guitar search has changed as I’ve gone along. Now I’m considering buying a used Nicky CC. Would anybody be nervous about a 2015 that’s already had three owners?

ff1337

Funny how this guitar search has changed as I’ve gone along. Now I’m considering buying a used Nicky CC. Would anybody be nervous about a 2015 that’s already had three owners?
I have a Nicky and it’s awesome!

Sommvern

I have a Nicky and it’s awesome!

I have truly read nothing but good things on the Nicky. I’m wondering why so many people have owned this particular guitar though over the last few years. Maybe it shouldn’t, but makes me a touch nervous something is wrong with it.

Thundermtn

With that many owner's it is on several people's non-keeper list. It was just a place to park guitar money until they quickly found something else that was better.

If it's a killer Wilson era CC, you're talking about a heirloom type of situation for most people.

Sommvern

With that many owner's it is on several people's non-keeper list. It was just a place to park guitar money until they quickly found something else that was better.

If it's a killer Wilson era CC, you're talking about a heirloom type of situation for most people.

Yeah same thought process I had. There are always better guitars out there, but for three people to make that determination...

This is hard.