• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Modified 1968 Goldtop value

cytorg

I have a modified to humbucker 1968 Les Paul Goldtop. The neck has a head-stock repair but the crack is not all the way across and has been repaired professionally.
It has a great checking look and patina. Long neck tenon, slim neck. Checking on value as I'm considering selling. Thanks for any help.

68%20Les%20Paul%20full%20size_zpsscd86hpb.jpg
Goldtop.jpg

Last edited:

Wilko

All Access/Backstage Pass
hmmm. Looks nice

Message me?

Last edited:

Grandrune

Hi all.
Just registered to get a turn on the merry go round.
I am looking at a 1968 GT that has been modded with schallers, dimarzio super distortion (bridge), newer ABR1, and input jack. What would be the percentage devaluation for each of these mods. I have not played it but the current owner is firm on the price.

Reno_1ted

Hi all.
Just registered to get a turn on the merry go round.
I am looking at a 1968 GT that has been modded with schallers, dimarzio super distortion (bridge), newer ABR1, and input jack. What would be the percentage devaluation for each of these mods. I have not played it but the current owner is firm on the price.

The impact wouldn't be much IMHO. The pickup is easily switched back and its easy to get period correct pickups on the second hand market, they are relatively affordable and common. You can also source a bridge if you wanted to, although a modern replacement is fine. Tuners are a personal preference. If everything else is original and unbroken then the value lies more in the condition and what someone is prepared to pay. Its not like a neck break or a refin, which fundamentally is irreversible and impacts the value fairly significantly.

Grandrune

Thanks for the info Reno.
I have requested a pic of the neck joint from the seller and will go from there.

Reno_1ted

Sorry, I just realised you meant it only has one humbucker, ie it retains a p90 in the neck position. I assumed that you meant it had been converted already and just lacked one period correct pickup.

So, value is impacted compared to an all original P90 model, but personally I’d convert it fully to 57 spec and that would add some value. I bought my 68 with the exact same configuration and converted it fully / properly and have been offered much more than I paid (conversions are hot right now!)