• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Authenticating a recent LPC

metropolis

Hi all,

Sorry to do one one of these but I saw a guitar tonight opportunistically and want to just confirm its authenticity before pulling the trigger.

It’s a black Les Paul Custom with the serial number CS 702831. My main suspicion is the serial number - is it one digit too long? Is that a 2007? It has a COA signed by Rick Gembar which would be correct for a 2007.

Everything else I checked seemed to add up. Binding over the fret nibs, hardware all correct. I opened up the cavity and there’s Gibson pots and I’d say OK wiring but not amazing. Strangely the ground wire from the bridge post is missing but there is a hole for it. There’s no mounting plate for the pots to sit on, is that correct? I could see the jack was a Switchcraft.

So my suspicions are the serial number, the weight (it didn’t weigh a ton) and the wiring even though the pots seemed legit.

What else should I have checked? Any advice?

Last edited:

Big Al

Hi all,

Sorry to do one one of these but I saw a guitar tonight opportunistically and want to just confirm its authenticity before pulling the trigger.

It’s a black Les Paul Custom with the serial number CS 702831. My main suspicion is the serial number - is it one digit too long? Is that a 2007? It has a COA signed by Rick Gembar which would be correct for a 2007.

Everything else I checked seemed to add up. Binding over the fret nibs, hardware all correct. I opened up the cavity and there’s Gibson pots and I’d say OK wiring but not amazing. Strangely the ground wire from the bridge post is missing but there is a hole for it. There’s no mounting plate for the pots to sit on, is that correct? I could see the jack was a Switchcraft.

So my suspicions are the serial number, the weight (it didn’t weigh a ton) and the wiring even though the pots seemed legit.

What else should I have checked? Any advice?

Brother, no one can without clear in focuse close pics. YOU HAD IT IN HAND, right? Excuse me, I'm blunt, but in hand inspection should do it. I've yet to see a copy that could pass as a Gibson, in hand. Lacquer finish?

Find someone who knows to go with you, Call or email Gibson. Got a phone? Take pics. Is it a private sale or a store?

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
Brother, no one can without clear in focuse close pics. YOU HAD IT IN HAND, right? Excuse me, I'm blunt, but in hand inspection should do it. I've yet to see a copy that could pass as a Gibson, in hand. Lacquer finish?

Find someone who knows to go with you, Call or email Gibson. Got a phone? Take pics. Is it a private sale or a store?

This! :yah

metropolis

Appreciate the advice guys. I've never handled a fake before so don't have experience of how near or far they are from an original. I was concerned that perhaps the Chinese factories had upped their game recently as I know they're constantly improving.

Like I said, all the telltale signs check out, even down to finer details like the Grover tuners being rounded rather than tulips on the 2017, and the spare switch cover and pouch of disiccant in the case.

It's a private sale and I'm going back today to collect it so will post photos when I've got it.

Thank you both.

metropolis

I'm in the UK so calling the US isn't easy, and the hours didn't work out because of the timezone, otherwise I'd have talked to them immediately. That said, the only information I think they could have given me was whether the serial number was correct.

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
That said, the only information I think they could have given me was whether the serial number was correct.

Why do you think that? Have you talked to them in the past and that's all they gave you?
I have called a few times and always got more info than that. :hmm

metropolis

Why do you think that? Have you talked to them in the past and that's all they gave you?
I have called a few times and always got more info than that. :hmm

No I haven't, I just assumed based on info other people have shared when they've had similar questions. They haven't responded to the questions I have asked but will see what they come back with.

Either way it doesn't matter now. I was just leaving to collect the guitar at lunchtime and got told the guy sold it to someone else for more money than we'd agreed. I'm super-pissed off as I would have increased my price too as it was a good deal, but even more annoyed that the guitar is now for sale on Facebook for £1,000 more than it was on sale for this morning by the guy who bought it.

All round a shitty experience!