• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Inherited this - What do I have here?

MeHereNow

That shits the later series earlier, not the middle series later. The later series is characterised by the introduction of the pancake body.

Middle Series: "Although the tenon route is changed, the remaining features are identical to early 69 bodies. In essence, they are still pre-genuine-pancake bodies."

In terms of dating the guitar its a bit of a moot point. In terms of value of the guitar, it's everything.

...But where is the characteristic "later" series volute on this guitar then?

Reno_1ted

...But where is the characteristic "later" series volute on this guitar then?

That came in at the end of this period.

The thing to remember is that there are changes throughout each 'series' - the guitars don't really start off a series the same as they end. For example, to so called 'early series' guitars start with a small headstock and a dot over the i, then lose the dot, then the headstock becomes bigger. Also the cross banded layer is added to the body. So a guitar coming out of the series looks quite different to one starting the series.

With every change comes a step away from the 50s, so a step down in value (aside from maybe the i dot which few people give a hoot about). The main changes really that impact value are the three piece neck introduction and the three piece body introduction, both of which are less desirable and further away from the 50's construction and both of which start each subsequent period. The headstock size change also impacts - people essentially want a 50s Les Paul for 60s money.

Weirdly (to me anyway) the year seems to matter to some people which can impact the value - for some reason two identical guitars from from Dec 68 and one from Jan 69 can differ and this is why loads of adverts list early 69 guitars as 68s. Same with the late series, which save a volute, a logo change and a Made in USA stamp, are essentially the same as the 1970 deluxes, but being they are technically 60s command more value. I have seen loads of 1970s deluxes listed as 69s.

They're all fantastic guitars in their own right. :salude