The Fender Forum
NEW! LPF Facebook Page
NEW! LPF Instagram Page
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite

Inherited this - What do I have here?

I was with my father when he purchased this Les Paul Deluxe guitar and Fender amp in a pawn shop in the early '70s. After he passed away, my mom gave to me. Can anyone tell me more about what I have? Not that I would sell it, but would be nice to know if it has any issues or rarities, or needs special insurance as I have no clue on an approximate value.

Thanks,

https://laplacetravel.box.com/s/fzrp...7c1gywiz0ke631

https://laplacetravel.box.com/s/5dte...hnwpy6oddrz0wz

Re: Inherited this - What do I have here?

Quote Originally Posted by thesibleys View Post
    I was with my father when he purchased this Les Paul Deluxe guitar and Fender amp in a pawn shop in the early '70s. After he passed away, my mom gave to me. Can anyone tell me more about what I have? Not that I would sell it, but would be nice to know if it has any issues or rarities, or needs special insurance as I have no clue on an approximate value.

Thanks,

https://laplacetravel.box.com/s/fzrp...7c1gywiz0ke631

https://laplacetravel.box.com/s/5dte...hnwpy6oddrz0wz
    Late '60s LP Deluxe... Serial # says '67 but '69 was the first year with mini-humbuckers... Check the pot codes to be sure of the date. First year ('69) LP Deluxes are worth $4,600 - $6,100 according to the VG Guide. Yours looks super clean. I'd say at least $6k.

If it is a '67 I'd say it's pretty rare...

Let us know what the pot codes are!

3-piece mahogany neck with wide headstock, mini humbuckers with ‘goof-rings’...late 69 to early 70s.

There were no Les Paul’s Made in 1967. The 1968-early 1969 had 1-piece neck and small headstock.

Looks nice a nice clean guitar that was well-loved and cared after by your dad.

Your guitar has "Goof Rings" around the mini humbuckers. These were added to hide oversized or sloppy pickup routing. I have never seen a 1969 with goof rings, that doesn't mean that none were produced. Does your guitars neck have a small volute? I see it has no "Made in USA" stamp. It looks like it has the deeper carved top like a '69. Here is a photo of mine for comparison.

Post #5 on this thread reports their 1969 with goof rings...

https://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/s...uxe-goof-rings

Les Paul Forum Member Reno_1ted's Avatar

Most likely late 1969.

However, we can tell you more about it if you can share/post:

A picture of the body 'side on' so we can see if its one piece or a three piece 'pancake' body - can you see multiple layers, horizontal lines?
    The pot codes - open the back and check for the numbers on any of the metal pots, they should start with 137
    A picture of the area where the neck meets the neck - is there a small bump (known as a volute)
    A picture of the headstock face/logo.

56/59 LP Standard (Conversion)
    68 Les Paul Standard (conversion)
    69 Les Paul Standard
    94 LP Standard
    73 SG Standard
    91 Explorer

Quote Originally Posted by Reno_1ted View Post
    Most likely late 1969.

However, we can tell you more about it if you can share/post:

A picture of the body 'side on' so we can see if its one piece or a three piece 'pancake' body - can you see multiple layers, horizontal lines?
    The pot codes - open the back and check for the numbers on any of the metal pots, they should start with 137
    A picture of the area where the neck meets the neck - is there a small bump (known as a volute)
    A picture of the headstock face/logo.

I've uploaded a bunch of photos to Flickr. Let me know if you can see them and what you can make out. Thanks a ton.

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmGzevX7

Les Paul Forum Member MeHereNow's Avatar

I've uploaded a bunch of photos to Flickr. Let me know if you can see them and what you can make out. Thanks a ton.

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmGzevX7
    http://www.latesixtieslespauls.com/middle.asp

Same specs as stated in Moonweasel's latesixtieslespauls site "middle series"
    Get my money, buy my medicine...

Quote Originally Posted by MeHereNow View Post
    http://www.latesixtieslespauls.com/middle.asp

Same specs as stated in Moonweasel's latesixtieslespauls site "middle series"
    Actually I would say this is a 'late series'. It has the three piece 'pancake body'.

The three piece body places it late 1969 at the earliest, but when you factor in that there is no 'Made in USA', no volute, it has 13769xx pots, and the open font on the logo, I don't think this guitar strays into 1970. So you have a guitar from late on in 1969, and a genuine Late 60s Les Paul - cool guitar.
    69 Les Paul Standard
    94 LP Standard
    73 SG Standard
    91 Explorer

Agree- and the color of the body is also "spot-on" for late 60's.

Agreed. Pretty much same as mine with the exception of the pancake body & Goof Rings.
    The pot codes seem to be just a few weeks older than mine.....

Les Paul Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by toxpert View Post
    Post #5 on this thread reports their 1969 with goof rings...

https://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/s...uxe-goof-rings
    Agreed. My '69 has goof rings. They were random for a few years

Actually I would say this is a 'late series'. It has the three piece 'pancake body'.

The three piece body places it late 1969 at the earliest, but when you factor in that there is no 'Made in USA', no volute, it has 13769xx pots, and the open font on the logo, I don't think this guitar strays into 1970. So you have a guitar from late on in 1969, and a genuine Late 60s Les Paul - cool guitar.
    Because of this:

"NOTE: The earliest pancake body, typically a Later Series feature, I have seen SO FAR is an 88752X Les Paul Deluxe. [EDIT as of 5-2014: The earliest I have now seen is a 88750X guitar. It has NO VOLUTE and an open 'b' and 'o' logo. Thank you Hector B. for your email and pictures!]"

on the "middle series" under "stats & info" section on the left of thepage, and the fact the OP's guitar has pots dated 34th week of 69, i keep with my first assumption.

Quote Originally Posted by Davidos View Post

Let us know what the pot codes are!
    Wow, those pots were a nasty mess. Chaulky like an exploded battery. What causes that and should I just leave them alone or they be delicately cleaned? If so, with what?

Wow, those pots were a nasty mess. Chaulky like an exploded battery. What causes that and should I just leave them alone or they be delicately cleaned? If so, with what?
    I would leave them original, they've survived that way for over 50 years. I think the corrosion is from the flux that was used at the time the electronics was soldered.

Les Paul Forum Member

What's with the extra holes above the bridge?. Looks like it has been re-located. why would that be?. Better intonation?.
    Al

That’s called patina....natural aging that helps confirm originality. You should not clean the residue from the pots...it does not affect the function.
    Cheers,
    Mac

Les Paul Forum Member latestarter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zombiwoof View Post
    What's with the extra holes above the bridge?. Looks like it has been re-located. why would that be?. Better intonation?.
    Al
    Wondered the same thing. I had to do that to my 381 Ricky...they located the bridge in the wrong place. I've seen other Gibson where that's an issue also.
    Otherwise known as Grant.

Because of this:

"NOTE: The earliest pancake body, typically a Later Series feature, I have seen SO FAR is an 88752X Les Paul Deluxe. [EDIT as of 5-2014: The earliest I have now seen is a 88750X guitar. It has NO VOLUTE and an open 'b' and 'o' logo. Thank you Hector B. for your email and pictures!]"

on the "middle series" under "stats & info" section on the left of thepage, and the fact the OP's guitar has pots dated 34th week of 69, i keep with my first assumption.
    That shits the later series earlier, not the middle series later. The later series is characterised by the introduction of the pancake body.

Middle Series: "Although the tenon route is changed, the remaining features are identical to early 69 bodies. In essence, they are still pre-genuine-pancake bodies."

In terms of dating the guitar its a bit of a moot point. In terms of value of the guitar, it's everything.
    69 Les Paul Standard
    94 LP Standard
    73 SG Standard
    91 Explorer

Don't clean the outside of those pots ! Leave them as is.

if you are struggling to see a pot code, you can just give it a wipe with a damp finger.
    69 Les Paul Standard
    94 LP Standard
    73 SG Standard
    91 Explorer

That shits the later series earlier, not the middle series later. The later series is characterised by the introduction of the pancake body.

Middle Series: "Although the tenon route is changed, the remaining features are identical to early 69 bodies. In essence, they are still pre-genuine-pancake bodies."

In terms of dating the guitar its a bit of a moot point. In terms of value of the guitar, it's everything.
    ...But where is the characteristic "later" series volute on this guitar then?

Paging Moonweasel

...But where is the characteristic "later" series volute on this guitar then?
    That came in at the end of this period.

The thing to remember is that there are changes throughout each 'series' - the guitars don't really start off a series the same as they end. For example, to so called 'early series' guitars start with a small headstock and a dot over the i, then lose the dot, then the headstock becomes bigger. Also the cross banded layer is added to the body. So a guitar coming out of the series looks quite different to one starting the series.

With every change comes a step away from the 50s, so a step down in value (aside from maybe the i dot which few people give a hoot about). The main changes really that impact value are the three piece neck introduction and the three piece body introduction, both of which are less desirable and further away from the 50's construction and both of which start each subsequent period. The headstock size change also impacts - people essentially want a 50s Les Paul for 60s money.

Weirdly (to me anyway) the year seems to matter to some people which can impact the value - for some reason two identical guitars from from Dec 68 and one from Jan 69 can differ and this is why loads of adverts list early 69 guitars as 68s. Same with the late series, which save a volute, a logo change and a Made in USA stamp, are essentially the same as the 1970 deluxes, but being they are technically 60s command more value. I have seen loads of 1970s deluxes listed as 69s.

They're all fantastic guitars in their own right.
    69 Les Paul Standard
    94 LP Standard
    73 SG Standard
    91 Explorer

They're all fantastic guitars in their own right.
    True that!
    I'd love to have me a lslp no matter what specs or series