• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Is Joe Bonamassa's old 1959 Les Paul "Spot" really that great of a guitar?

5997joe

I saw he sold it not too long ago and it was bought by Matt from Matt's Guitar Shop in France. Matt always posts about how its the best 1959 Les Paul ever and even made "Spot Replica Pickups." I guess my question is, if it was such an amazing guitar then why did Joe sell it? He has 10+ original Burts so I feel like he'd probably sell the ones the likes the least and keeps the "best" ones.

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
Re: Is Joe Bonamassa's old 1959 Les Paul "Spot" really that great of a guitar?

Every good Burst has it's own voice and character. What's perfect for one guy is 'okay' for someone else.

I would warn anybody to not assume too much from a player like Joe selling a great piece. :ganz

Reno_1ted

I have seen Joe several times here in the UK, playing loads of cool guitars including bursts, and on his last outing in Blackpool he played Spot and the sound was standout for me. It was up there with some of the finest guitar tones I have heard.

YMMV

CDaughtry

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner and Moderator

Every good Burst has it's own voice and character. What's perfect for one guy is 'okay' for someone else.

I would warn anybody to not assume too much from a player like Joe selling a great piece. :ganz

Tom makes a good point. I owned Spot years ago and traded it to the ATC for Nicky (it was not an even trade:jim). For me, Nicky was the one. I'm happy the new owner thinks Spot is the one.

mistersnappy

I saw he sold it not too long ago and it was bought by Matt from Matt's Guitar Shop in France. Matt always posts about how its the best 1959 Les Paul ever and even made "Spot Replica Pickups." I guess my question is, if it was such an amazing guitar then why did Joe sell it? He has 10+ original Burts so I feel like he'd probably sell the ones the likes the least and keeps the "best" ones.

If this is in fact what this Matt person has said, that's what's known as "hype".

Anyway, TW is correct: there is a lot of subjectivity in all of this.

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner

If this is in fact what this Matt person has said, that's what's known as "hype".

Is he describing "merchandise", or a personal piece? :hmm

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner

This is in his personal collection I believe.

That's what I was thinking. He's a collector and a store owner [like me, in a sense].

mingus

I had the pleasure to have Spot in my studio (along with several other bursts of Joe’s, mine and others) for an extended time and can say that it is a very lively guitar and IMHO easily ranks among the top 10 I’ve ever had the pleasure of playing. My sample size of bursts is only around 100 or so and many here have played far more than me, so I’ll defer to them in the final analysis. Spot is an outstanding instrument, but JB has some other great ones too and the reality is that you can’t keep them all. I’m glad the new caretaker loves it. It’s a special one. :salude

edwina

I just saw Joe in New Brunswick, NJ a few months ago and he played my old burst, the 1960 Johnny B. Burst. 0 8145. Man, that guitar sounded unreal when Joe played it. It sure didn’t have that great tone when I played it, haha. It’s a killer guitar and was pretty affordable. 1960 bursts are my favorite...plus one can save tons of money by ‘settling’ for a 1960. :) - Peace- Richie

Jean-Christophe

Matt has made some public announcement in the french media on several occasion claiming this guitar was THE 59 of JB, the BEST guitar from JB's collection, this is why I guess the question came. He is running a guitar shop and use this guitar as a marketing tool with video's, web podcast, magazine interview....

jimmi

Matt has made some public announcement in the french media on several occasion claiming this guitar was THE 59 of JB, the BEST guitar from JB's collection, this is why I guess the question came. He is running a guitar shop and use this guitar as a marketing tool with video's, web podcast, magazine interview....
Joe will probably speak for himself on this but if were his best, why did he sell it? He also told me his favorite (at least in 2015) was snakebite.

Phatcat

There could be a variety of reasons why someone sold his guitar, even if supposedly is his best guitar.

Maybe Matt offered Joe a price that he couldn’t refuse.

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner

Joe will probably speak for himself on this but if were his best, why did he sell it? He also told me his favorite (at least in 2015) was snakebite.

It wasn't Joe saying it was his best, it was Matt.

I think Spot was [and still is] a great Burst. :)

T.Allen

Joe played Spot for many years. He wouldn't have kept it that long if it was a dud. You shouldn't overthink this.

zappa1777

I tried spot a few days ago. I've only played a few bursts so I'm not going to pretend I know a great one when I try one. I will say that it's a wonderful guitar in every way. It wasn't the only burst I tried that day but it was the best one by far