• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Why did Gibson close down the "Collectors Choice" line?

Top Gun

I love my Danger Burst. I play it daily...

IMG_2235b-X2.jpg

20170204_144125-1-X2.jpg

K_L

I had a CC run of 8-7049. The CC guitars are so far from the original as to make the exercise pointless. The only thing even remotely "right" is the colour.
I guess the guy on FB today truly did not like your 'official CC video' & webpage I referenced him to. :jim

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
I have been meaning to ask you in your CC Donna , the one that took so long for you to get (the one in the photo in this thread ) , what pickups are you using in her ? Some Vintage PAF's ?

Edwin loaded my Donnas with special sets he wound. He did this as a favor to me, and I only found out afterwards. And they sound killer.

I never even consider putting vintage PAFs in a modern guitar. That's because I see no need for it.

Trans-Am

Edwin loaded my Donnas with special sets he wound. He did this as a favor to me, and I only found out afterwards. And they sound killer.

I never even consider putting vintage PAFs in a modern guitar. That's because I see no need for it.

Unless the rest of the body etc. is trashed and the only salvageable parts are the pups? Hmmmm!:hmm Maybe I would but it would have to be a one time shot on a very good candidate Paul!:peace2

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
Unless the rest of the body etc. is trashed and the only salvageable parts are the pups? Hmmmm!:hmm Maybe I would but it would have to be a one time shot on a very good candidate Paul!:peace2

I would save them for restoration.
There are many fine pickups. I don't need to put PAFs in other guitars.
Besides playing PAF equipped Les Pauls, I more often play guitars with other pickups. For over 30 years my main player has Duncan Alnico 2's [cream bobbins]. I also play guitars with Gibson Custombuckers, Thro-Backs, Wolftones, and Rio Grande. They all sound fine and I don't wonder "what if". :2cool

Trans-Am

I would save them for restoration.
There are many fine pickups. I don't need to put PAFs in other guitars.
Besides playing PAF equipped Les Pauls, I more often play guitars with other pickups. For over 30 years my main player has Duncan Alnico 2's [cream bobbins]. I also play guitars with Gibson Custombuckers, Thro-Backs, Wolftones, and Rio Grande. They all sound fine and I don't wonder "what if". :2cool

That would be another option Tom, yes I fully agree on the other hand that you come across another vintage playing Paul that needs to be restored to it's full original capacity.

There is a good vibe with playing other guitars with different pups really. You have a sense of variety as in covering every level of sonic responses you get from PAF-57's-BB-MHS-CB's etc., let alone the boutique arrays of others well made sounding pups BK's etc. out there, and come to think of it? I don't have the same pups in my other Paul's as well.
I echo your thoughts:peace2

El Gringo

Thanks for the info and I bet they sound killer ! Surprises like that are awesome !

ff1337

HTML:
I have two of them: A Nicky and a Happy Jack.
Couldn`t be more happy with both of them. Feels like christmas every time i open the case and play them :). I have compared them to a load of other Gibson`s including the 60th anniversary, which i find very appealing too. I would buy these 2 guitars again in a heartbeat. They are a definite upgrade with regard to tone, feel and aesthetics to what i had earlier on and i am sure JD Simo didn`t exaggerate with his appraisal of the Nicky. :salude
+1!