• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Bare Knuckle Dilema

csacwp

I swapped the T Tops in my 1979 Les Paul Custom for a set of Bare Knuckle Cold Sweats (ceramic in bridge and alnico in neck, matched set). I was surprised to find that while being higher output, tighter at the bottom end, and a little more articulate, the Cold Sweats don't sound as big as the T Tops. They also don't have as powerful of a thud in the low end when chugging power chords (I play metal). This is with the original pots and capacitor. Is this normal? Should I try 500k pots or a different cap? The T Tops with the original pots and cap absolutely nailed the tone on the early Mayhem and Burzum albums (Freezing Moon by Mayhem for example) and cleaned up nicely. The Cold Sweats are a little more veiled and compressed but at the same time don't produce such a dramatically huge wall of sound.

grimlyflick

I’d put the T-Tops back in.

I’m slightly confused after your appraisal of the guitar in the other thread as to why you swapped them out in the 1st place.
:salude