• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

holes in my guitar

nickfox

Hi Everyone

I just bought a 94 left handed classic les paul. It's the 1960 reissue. I just got the guitar and the first thing I noticed was that there were 2 holes drilled in the guitar. Please see attached picture. I bought the guitar from a dealer who lives in Italy, (I live in France).

So my question is how much does this devalue an old guitar like this?

Also, why do you think there are holes there?

The guitar was advertised as "near mint" condition and all original. The dealer said nothing about the holes...

IMG_20190823_132707.jpg

thanks
Nick

Mars Hall

Definitely will devalue the resale value. If you paid "near mint" price for the guitar, your dealer should hear about it. I'm not sure the amount of devaluation to apply to your circumstance but I would think it would be significant enough. As for why the holes are there, I have no good ideas. It almost seems as if someone tried moving the bridge but the extra holes are so out of alignment, it doesn't make sense.

Btw, dig the "Bertha" avatar!

nickfox

It almost seems as if someone tried moving the bridge but the extra holes are so out of alignment, it doesn't make sense.

Btw, dig the "Bertha" avatar!

That's what threw me off too. The holes just aren't in the right place. The one saving grace of all this is that the guitar sounds absolutely beautiful. It just sings and vibrates so nicely. I haven't even plugged it in yet.

Thanks, that is my avatar everywhere I go, twitter, facebook, etc. You are one of the few who knows what it is... :)

n

El Gringo

Welcome Brother Deadhead and remember Jerry Loves You ! ( I love The Grateful Dead !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! )

Trans-Am

It is what it is really, you can take it to a luthier to have it drop filled and touch up a bit if it bothers you unless your going to be selling it in the future as well.
I would just keep it and play it well, I meant add some characters to it some more as its got some already anyways.:peace2

Add some wear and scars around that area and aged it a bit, It wouldn't matter later down the road anymore as you will have a nice played it Paul. Just enjoy it and play her lots.:2cool

OR......you can go back to whomever you bought it from and state your case.

nickfox

Welcome Brother Deadhead and remember Jerry Loves You!

thanks, I have very good memories of the Dead and Jerry. Definitely part of the soundtrack of my life.

I would just keep it and play it well.

I've been playing my guitar as much as possible. Before I bought it, I was a little bit worried about the pickups because I read so much heated debate over how hot they were and how they sounded. I plugged my guitar into my little 5W laney lionheart on the drive channel with no pedals. I was on the bridge pickup and my first thought when I started playing was "30 days in the hole" by humble pie. One of my favorite guitar tones. I was so happy to hear that. I'm going to break out my tremolo and univibe later and see if I can get that humble pie tone... :)

n