• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Just got my first Les Paul

csacwp

I play ecelctic genres of music... everything from classic rock to clean ambient and black metal. When it comes to guitars, I am incredibly picky and am willing to spend what it takes to get what I want. My Les Paul budget was $15,000.

After playing over 100 Les Pauls of all eras and configurations, the best guitar (for me) that I found was a 1979 Les Paul Custom. I purchased it this evening after spending about five hours putting it through its paces and comparing to other guitars (Les Pauls, PRS, ESP Custom Shop). Nothing sounded as big, heavy, rich, and alive as this particular 1979. It's a heavy one (haven't weighed it yet, but it's between 11 and 13 pounds for sure), but it is an endless cavern of resonance and tone. No matter how hard one tries, one cannot pull all the tone that this thing's got out of it. It has gorgeous crisp cleans (not muddy at all like some of the lighter mahogany-necked Les Pauls I played) and an absolutely massive wall-of-sound response when played with any amount of gain. Harmonics fly off the fingerboard. The strings are looser feeling than usual as well... With 9-42 strings some of the Les Pauls I tried had a tighter feeling and some were looser. This one feels like it has 8's on it when it has 9's. So comfortable to play. The neck is narrow/compact and not too thick (though thicker than a 60 RI). In a high gain setting (for example, through a Mesa F50 or Engl Fireball) it sounds identical to Euronymous's Les Paul on Mayhem's De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas… absolutely brutal and huge while not being too dark or muddy. Even on lower gain amps this particular Les Paul sounds more metal than rock, unlike the others I tried. The pickups and hardware are original but chrome plated- not gold. The pickups respond as if they are higher output than a typical PAF even though they have the same sort of tone... Don't really know how to describe it. Anyway, I've attached some photos and can't wait to record with this one! Shame that it doesn't have a black or sunburst finish, but the tone is more important than the looks.

Attachments

• DSC07051.jpg
    DSC07051.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 49
  • DSC07046.jpg
    DSC07046.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 50
  • DSC07048.jpg
    DSC07048.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 49
  • DSC07047.jpg
    DSC07047.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 58
  • DSC07049.jpg
    DSC07049.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 46

Big Al

You could order the chrome hardware as an option. Your description is spot on. The simple truth is these very solid guitars ring like a bell. In honest head to head comparison the heavy, Norlin era Les Pauls always surprise those who have low expectations, and discover the huge tone & performance value these guitars possess.

Welcome to the club. BTW I've found 78/79 Les Pauls float my tone boat.

Beautiful guitar. :salude:yah:hank

Trans-Am

That is a beauty one there you got! Lotsa wood in show.:dude: A'la Ronson appeal yeah!!

Although quite heavy for that period nevertheless the wood have dried quite a bit contributing to that what might hear as ringing tone perhaps.

A fresh new bling hardware can make it shine a bit more if that's your fancy, it looks fine to me the way it is and all you have to do is give it some of your mojo flakes with a bit of scar and character to really make it your own.:peace2

Congrats and welcome inside the lair of the forum.

csacwp

I misspoke about the weight... The seller overestimated. I weighed it today and it is 10 pounds six ounces.

I swapped the pickups for Bare Knuckle Cold Sweats but am not sold on them. They sound smaller and less alive than the T Tops.

Trans-Am

Weight is not bad at all, over the 9 lbs. which is the most norm for the Standards depending on the year and make/model.:)

brandtkronholm

...The simple truth is these very solid guitars ring like a bell. In honest head to head comparison the heavy, Norlin era Les Pauls always surprise those who have low expectations, and discover the huge tone & performance value these guitars possess.

Beautiful guitar. :salude:yah:hank

+1 So long as you've a strong back, these late '70s customs are great guitars!

The 14 degree angle at the nut contributes to the slinky feel. The height of the tailpiece looks normal to a tiny bit high also contributes.

How are the frets? Can you get under the strings?

Big Al

The 14 degree angle at the nut contributes to the slinky feel. The height of the tailpiece looks normal to a tiny bit high also contributes.

The 70's & 80's were my most intensive playing span, being very active and engaged full time as a working, blue collar musician. 3-5 nites a week, 4 sets a nite, clubs, festivals and outdoor gigs,ski resorts in winter, summer blowouts at lakes & parks, oh man!! A good band could stay busy and earn a great living. We were booked 6 months in advance and though it was hard work, demanding professionalism, good people skills and musical proficiency, it also meant having a clear understanding of gear. High quality, road dependable equipment. Our livelihood depended upon it.

Back then we typically used our own PA, lights, drum riser and had a single "Roady", [a word that fails to describe the role of our 6'10" 375lb truck driver, doorman, security, equipment wrangler and indespensible member of Rambunctious], and carried everything that we needed to put on a show.

Which is why I so often find myself champion the much, [ ignorantly ], maligned Norlin Era Gibson Les Pauls. This has been much discussed over multiple posts but the point I wish to make is that these guitars deliver. In stock form the play beautifully, with the tone that delighte and satisfied so many, night after nite after nite. They maintain their functionality of setup integrity and tuning, nite after nite after nite, with a dependablity that endures, nite after nite, year after year, decade after decade.

They are heavy. But so are bass guitars and I never met a bassist or have seen hoards of them crying about it. I did/do what my bass players did. I ditched the skinny straps for comfortable wide padded ones, raised the guitar to human levels instead of the ape stance of a hunched over, low slung guitar trying to look so cool and stood tall and straight to find weight not an issue and judging from photos, still looking cool enough. Weight can be sensiblly dealt with.

csacwp

Yep, the frets are in great shape.

El Gringo

Congrats on your very first Les Paul and welcome to the club . My favorite guitar of all time -the Gibson Les Paul , as I have a Norlin era Les Paul Custom @ 9lbs and she rocks and I love her tone and she was and is my very first ever electric as a kid from so long ago . Congrats once again !

ej.

Looks great! Nice first Les Paul. I like the older Customs.

SpencerD

Oh yes,that's nice. I too am an unabashed Norlin fanboy!! :laugh2:

Good deal man! :dude::yah

( EDIT ---- I'm not implying that anyone posting in this here thread is a Norlin Fanboy. Except me.)

Midnight Blues

Very nice! Quite Ronsonesque! Congrats,
jam.gif
HNGD and play her in good health!