• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

MESA MK III purple stripe combo w/EV-12L

Blackjack30

Something this small should not be this loud ... lol

This thing really Boogies.

brandtkronholm

Something this small should not be this loud ... lol

This thing really Boogies.

Good gravy, never were truer words spoken. I've got one too. It has the simul class option which means either all 4 power tubes are being used or only two are in play. I prefer all four but two is still louder than necessary. I'm 99% sure it's a purple stripe.

LP345PRSB.jpg

For a detailed rig run-down see the following LPF thread: https://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/showthread.php?173138-Two-Photos-of-My-Three-Electrics-(Some-Vintage-Content)-BIG-PIC&highlight=a+few+pictures+es+345+boogie

(Yes, I'd actually put the Boogie on top of the 4x12 for the big rooms and out-door shows. Loud doesn't begin to describe it!)

Big Al

Mine is the long head, fully loaded, Simul-class, Reverb and Graphic EQ. Only Presence on back panel. It's either a purple or blue stripe, I forget, never really cared. Runs duo pairs of power tubes in Simul-class for 75 watts. A pair of STR 6L6GC in class AB for 60 watts and a pair of EL34 in class A at 15 watts. I can switch off the 6L6GC pair in low power using the very loud EL34 class A 15 watt power section.

I've owned this amp almost 30 years. I love it.

Blackjack30

Good gravy, never were truer words spoken. I've got one too. It has the simul class option which means either all 4 power tubes are being used or only two are in play. I prefer all four but two is still louder than necessary. I'm 99% sure it's a purple stripe.

LP345PRSB.jpg

For a detailed rig run-down see the following LPF thread: https://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/...IG-PIC&highlight=a+few+pictures+es+345+boogie

(Yes, I'd actually put the Boogie on top of the 4x12 for the big rooms and out-door shows. Loud doesn't begin to describe it!)

My friend Engineer Obeid Khan of Khan Audio & MAGNATONE is going to make me a load box so i can run my MK III into my 16 ohm Marshall Blackback cab. Did you run the 8 ohm out of your MK III into your 16 ohm cab ?
Obeid said i run the risk of my power tubes flashing over and as powerful as this amp is i believe him.

brandtkronholm

My MKIII has the option to run the internal speaker alone at 16ohm OR run two cabs at 8ohm each.

So, logically ... :wah I ran the internal Black Widow from one 8ohm and my 4ohm 4x12 from the other 8ohm. :##

It sounded amazing. 5 12" speakers. It was nuts.

My MKIII blew up once, during a show, but I don't think it was because of this. The tubes were fine and the fix was easy for my tech.

On a different occasion I found (after the fact) that there was a tiny hole in the glass of one of the power tubes - but the amp kept on going! These old Mesa Boogies are indestructible.

Blackjack30

My MESA MK III purple stripe stomps my 3 channel Dual Rectifier which i hate to say because i love the DR but alas its true. All hail the MK III.

I pulled the EV-12L and lightened the load by 30 pounds i swear.
Using it as a head only.
Thru my 40 yr old Blackback cab it is amazing. Got to goose the volume a bit .... look out !
Never knew the NOS Phillips 6l6 glass could sound so good.
Got NOS Amperex & Blackburn Mullard in da pre.

Called MESA support [i have before] which is best in the industry and they assured me 8 ohm out into 16 ohm cab is a safe mismatch and wont harm the amp in any way.
Im taking them at their word.

Big Al

How's the reverb in the long head? I find the short box/spring reverb is muddy. I don't use it.

+1 My MKIII is just about perfect. I've never really needed anything else.

The Reverb is smooth and not as splashy as a Fender. Much like the old studio spring reverbs. Not boxy at all.

I agree about the amplifier. I don't hang on to stuff I don't like. It took a while to suss out the shared controls/eq and the most push/pull knobs I've seen! But the manual is excellent and the controls make sense and for me, easy to grasp the functionality. I am always surprised by the wide range of tones available across the three voices. At the time it was like having 3 different Mesa Boogie Amps!

The Mark IV & V carry that concept much farther and have greater flexibility and separate controls for the 3 channels. Much easier to understand, YET I find the voices of the MK III more appealing, so much so that I never felt the urge or need to update. The MK III just suits me. The cleans are full, rich and harmonicly alive. Detail and clarity with warmth and none of the dead sterility of many clean channels or even amps.

The Crunch and Lead Channels cover all my overdrive/dirt/drive needs. All of it from slight breakup, grind and crunch, singing expressive leads and all points inbetween! Not extreme or djent or heavy metal or super oversaturated mondo distorto. Just big rich musical tone.

Not for everyone but I am so happy with mine.