• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Question about recording guitar tracks

Calumscott

my tune is specially guitar based totally. for my guitar components, i double up every guitar component by means of copying the guitar music, panning the 2 tracks difficult left and right, and making use of a mild put off to the second one guitar track to differentiate it. i then organization the two tracks and observe outcomes to the institution.

as opposed to copying the guitar music to the second track ought to i be recording a wholly new guitar song? i’m questioning if it will likely be simpler to mix and what is the favored manner to do that. thank you!
tweakbox appvalley https://vlc.onl/

Last edited:

Bob Womack

If you want a wide presentation and a spread across the speakers, yes you want to record a second take of the same material, as closely matched as possible. When panned outboard, the tiny differences between the two tracks will cause a lovely spread. In fact, studio guitarist Dick Wagner used to talk about the "magic third" meaning a third performance placed in the center and dropped a little to make space for the vocal. This is based upon the face that the brain is a difference machine - it looks for difference between items naturally. As a result, any significant difference between the tracks will stick out. When you reach three versions the brain sees the result as a chorus and stops hearing individual performances as well. I use both doubling and tripling in my work.

Bob

Monroe

Definitely do a 2nd take rather than just copying the track.
Also, consider playing the same part, but with a different guitar, amp, mic, etc.
Then play with the pans.
Try panning the verb/effects to the opposite side of the dry signals.

Sometimes mids rich tracks work better at 50% panned rather than 100%, leaving the far edges for more swirly stuff.
High pass everything judiciously.
But there's no hard fast rules.

Last edited:

LuteGuy

Definitely do a 2nd take rather than just copying the track.
Also, consider playing the same part, but with a different guitar, amp, mic, etc.
Then play with the pans.
Try panning the verb/effects to the opposite side of the dry signals.

Sometimes mids rich tracks work better at 50% panned rather than 100%, leaving the far edges for more swirly stuff.
Low pass everything judiciously.
But there's no hard fast rules.

All good advice in my experience. By "Low pass..." did you mean cutting low frequencies? That would technically be high pass. I call it getting rid of mud! No rules are the best rules IMO and if it sounds good, it IS good...have fun!

J T

Copying tracks is not doubling. A second take on a different track is doubling.

Monroe

All good advice in my experience. By "Low pass..." did you mean cutting low frequencies? That would technically be high pass. I call it getting rid of mud! No rules are the best rules IMO and if it sounds good, it IS good...have fun!

Yes, sorry... High pass. Corrected.