• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Wiring Diagram for 1978 LP Pro Deluxe - Any Ideas?

SeaTowner_AB

Hi all. I'm trying to restore a 1978 LP Pro Deluxe (stock P-90's) back to its original configuration. The wiring cavity has a grounding plate, with a center lug that I don't see shown in any wiring diagrams. Does anyone know of where I can find a diagram to show how this is configured? Thanks!

PaulD

The centre lug usually has 2 solder tags, one of them is connected to the metal plate and is a ground point (all the ground wires connect to this), the other is isolated from the plate and is used as a connection point for the output wire from the switch and the jack socket signal wire.

SeaTowner_AB

Thank you for taking the time to reply. I've been trying to figure it out based on images, and they are all a bit different. Since I'm trying to restore the wiring, there seems to be a lot of old solder on the back of pots, when it seems (as you describe) like the ground wires should have gone to the grounding lug. I guess it's probably fine either way. Stranger to me is that there seems to be no diagrams (that I can find) to provide a visual reference. There are hundreds of "50's style" and modern (split coil), or Jimmy Page mods out there, but not much from this era. I know people love to hate on Norlin's but some of my favorite bands used guitars from this era, and if they were good enough for them (Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Tool), then its good enough for me. Thanks again for your helpful reply.

PaulD

This diagram shows how my '76 Deluxe is wired. As far as I know it is all original and this is how it was wired from new. As you say there may well be variations, after all they were assembled by hand and I'm sure individual operators all had there own way of doing things!

norlin_wiring.jpg

Last edited:

SeaTowner_AB

Thank you so much! That is exactly what I need. I think you're right about the different approaches. Grounding wires can be done several different ways. Thanks again.