• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Authenticating a Derrig?

KieuPhong

I'm being offered a guitar that is purported to be a Derrig. I know very little about these guitars but this one looks very nice. It even has an appraisal from George Gruhn !WOW! Anyway, always a skeptic I would like to get some help from the pros here. I've done the searches and can't come up with anything substantial that could be used to authenicate a Derrig. I can send anyone interested pictures. The serial number is definately not a number that would be associated with a '59 Les Paul as it begins with a 2 and it is pressed in. There is no pickguard and the electronics are all very modern. The bridge also appears to my untrained eye to be a Nashville. I haven't seen this guitar in person so all I can give you is the pix provided. I don't want to discuss price but I will say that I think that it is reasonable (provided it is a Derrig). Help please. I'd like to own a quality replica. An absolute perfect copy is not necessary although I've been eyeing the MAX copies too.

ScumbackSpeakers

When I had a Derrig in my possession I asked Gruhn Guitars about authenticating it. They made it very clear that they would not authenticate or appraise any Les Paul replicas. This was four years ago. So unless something has changed since 2015, I would bet that it doesn't have a Gruhn appraisal, especially since only two dozen Derrigs were built total.

Thundermtn

Just spitballing here, but if people were trying to pass his guitars off as late 50's Gibson's back in the day, you'd think straight away that a Nashville bridge is a give away to not being a Derrig.

If the bridge posts are screwed into a metal bushing instead of the maple top, it's a Nashville.

Pellman73

Just spitballing here, but if people were trying to pass his guitars off as late 50's Gibson's back in the day, you'd think straight away that a Nashville bridge is a give away to not being a Derrig.

If the bridge posts are screwed into a metal bushing instead of the maple top, it's a Nashville.

yea I'd stay away from it