• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Pickup position different between models?

MikeLPMarshall

New member here.
Also new to Gibson LPs. Long time player.
Over the last few years I have aquired an Epiphone LP Custom, Gibson LP Studio, LP Traditional and LP Classic.
While I was admiring my collection hanging on the wall I noticed something that I had not heard of. Maybe it is common knowledge???
Anyhow, the Bridge pup on these models are in a different location to the bridge.
Eppiy is the furthest, Studio is a little more closer and the Trad and Classic are closest.
I brought this up on another gear forum and was told pretty much that …….Gibson quality control, Yadda yadda yadda.
I don't believe that and even looked closely at a bunch of pics on the Sweetwater site and sure enough all three of those models are the same as mine-pups are in different locations.
Is this something that Gibson does so you can't buy a cheaper model and swap in other pups and expect to get the exact same tone?

AJCR

There is (and has never been) a spec for any pickup position. Such that having it in a different spot is a flaw or qc related.....nor an indication of model prestige.
in short:
50s Jr's had several locations of the single bridge pickup.
The singlecut special and DC version have different neck pickup positions.
SGs have had differing bridge and neck pickup positions for both humbucker and p90 versions throughout their existence.

The best tone comes from playing more......just saying

Big Al

Yes, different models have different pickup locations. An Epi is not a Gibson. Different Gibson models employ different pickup geometry due to machinery used and model spec. For a short while in the 90's Historic R8's, made on original machines from Kalamazoo, had bridge pickups with a shifted location due to age and machine pattern drift, resulting in a pickup gap.

The only real consequence is that you need to source correct model/year for pickgaurd replacement.