• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Help me decide on an amp

FlyingChipmunk

Hi,

I am a guitar hobbyist. I play alone most of the time, would like to start basement jamming with other musicians to a limited degree at some point, and might want to have the option of having an amp capable of playing a small bar (I was invited to sit in with a local gigging band if I ever choose to). I like to play clean, edge of breakup, and overdriven.

I currently have a computer with Amplitube installed. This is useful as an amp only if I'm sitting in front of the desktop computer, which I don't particularly like to do. Though I can get some great tones, the amp models never really seemed "raw", like real amps. I also have a 1x12 cab, a terrible 15 watt solid state practice amp, and a few pedals. I had and sold a super champ at one point, since I wasn't crazy about the tone.

I want to get a tube amp(s), and don't know what direction I should go. Here is what I'm considering:

1. Marshall 2061 with an input so that I can bypass the preamp and go directly to the power amp. This way, I can use the full amp for playing a bar, and turned way down for playing clean at home. I can use the preamp bypass to use a modeler with the amp's power amp.

The advantage to #1 is that I can play at any volume, even using headphones. The disadvantage is that I will have a modeler which might not sound as good as a tube amp (though it could. I've heard good things about line 6 and Atomic). Also, the modeler will break/become obsolete at some point. In a way, this option seems like it misses the mark, since most of my use would not involve a tube preamp, though this might be a moot point, considering the quality of the aforementioned modelers.

I'd considered this option with a JTM-45, but it would be all the harder to move around, and might be too saggy to use as a power section for a modeler.

2. A Marshall-esque amp of 10 watts or so. I doubt I'd need a modeler to get good tones at lower volumes, though I certainly wouldn't get any real distortion except at high volumes. I don't know if this would be enough to play with others in a basement setting with my 1x12.

This seems like an option that will allow me to cover the most bases satisfactorily with just one amp, yet covers none of the bases ideally.

3. A Marshall 2061 without a modeler AND a 5-watt tube amp. The 2061 would only be used while playing with others, or at bars, or clean while alone. The 5-watt amp could be used for playing alone.

The advantage of this option over #2 is that I would have my bases better covered. The advantage over #1 is that I would not be dealing with a modeler, hence there is nothing to fail in a way that I can't fix it. The disadvantage over option #1 is that I can probably get better tones with the modeler/2061 combo.

Really, I can continue to use Amplitube, and can buy a laptop to put it on. This would give me OK tones at low volumes. I can still use my POS solid state to practice. I'd like to get ONE tube amp at some point, but I don't know which option I should choose.

So, out of these options, what would you go with? Thanks.

marfen

Tweed Deluxe reissue handwired or original
Deluxe Reverb original or reissue

Shakey

In my general experience amps that are usable live are rarely a good choice for playing at home being too loud, a larger amp with a master volume will generally sound shitty when down to bedroom volume and any amp that sounds good at home generally doesn't have the poke to keep up with drums live. Of course I'd caveat that it does depend on how loud the rest of the band (drummer) is. That being said if you're not bothered about getting your amp to break up when playing at home larger amps are perfectly fine.

Now all that being said, I'd say a 2061 would seem to sit exactly where you'd like it to, I've played through one a couple of times though never in a band setting; I felt that it was fairly comparable to a deluxe reverb (which is my go to amp) if anything it's probably a little bit quieter than a deluxe would be. I find an amp in the ~20w range to be about the perfect volume to play bars/small clubs, you can open the amp up to taste and you're not going to be blowing people away. Of course this also depends on the room, in a small practice room even a 15W amp can be ear bleeding loud.

So I'd say go with the 2061 or some thing of comparable size, now for home playing I'd just recommend getting a couple of pedals, run the amp clean and just use your dirt box of choice. I would not go down the digital modeling root in conjunction with a tube amp you're complicating things quite a bit more than I'd really say is nessisary. I'm not saying it would sound bad probably quite the opposite, but you can get the same results with using a decent overdrive pedal for a lot less money and a lot less hassle.

Just to give you some perspective the two amps I use are a JTM45ri and a deluxe reverb reissue. Live I use either amp kind of depending on how big the room is smaller rooms I use the deluxe, bigger venues/festivals the Marshall. I've also built a modest pedal board which works great with either amp. tuner - Fulltone OCD - Jrocket Archer - dunlop Clyd Mcoy Wah - Strymon Flint - volume pedal. Now when I rehearse with my band most of the time we do it in the summer house in the bass players garden with acoustic guitars, my deluxe for me and the bass player to play through, it works real nice! Volume at 2-3 is about the same volume as an acoustic guitar. In very small/quieter gigs with the board i can get great over driven tones at that volume which is great. If we're playing with a drummer I crank the deluxe to 7-8-9-10 and rock without the board it really is a very versatile set up! In regards to volume, I can tell you that cranked there realy isn't that much difference between the deluxe reverb on 10 and a jtm45 on 10 maybe 1db which isn't nothing but is negligible. What is different is how a 4X12 closed back cab delivers the sound as opposed to a 1X12 open backed combo, it's much more directional which is nice in an open room where you don;t get the same immediate reflections like you do in a bar/club!

I hope that gives you some answers in a round about way! :)

renderit

Carr Mercury V.

Kinda answers the question nicely.

40455563902_ccd5c0e4dc_k.jpg

25627179187_7a97323563_k.jpg

25627172527_4e020c1eb6_k.jpg

If Marshally is ALL you want to do I would go with the SAG QUEEN.

The MGL LEADMASTER 20.

It is positively the most delicious Marshall type I have ever heard.

40935044354_014230ade7_k.jpg

40935054804_5c25d7f046_k.jpg

grimlyflick

If lower wattage Marshall tones are what you’re looking for check out the new Studio series of 20watt heads. I have the Jubilee and it’s a great amplifier.

2A214BBE-9F25-4240-BE6B-56BEE51A4445_zpsj7edbpq3.jpeg

GreenBurst

THE most important question, even before budget, is style of music.

That said, I recommend checking out a Mesa Mark V:35 combo. It has great clean and overdrive tones, reverb, graphic EQ, footswitch, and a reasonable weight. Can cover any genre.

Good luck with your search.

JPP-1

I’ve had Carr’s. Very nice amps but still need to be reasonable loud to sound good. A tweed Deluxe, again, anything over 10 watts, even 5 watts will be loud to give up the goods.

My solution is as pictured. A good attenuator/reamper which in my view comes the closest to replicating the tone and feel of an overdriven amp and reasonable levels. Or an amp like the Fargen, with power scaling and an effective master volume.

I’ve used modelers, even good ones like UAD and frankly I’d rather play my Les Paul acoustically. With all the advances in digital technology I can almost feel the zipper/staccato like response, the flatness of the tone, the lack of buoyancy and aliveness not to mention ear fatiguing brittleness.

A great amp and cab combination is both supple and articulate, not to mention nuanced. Afaic, The interaction between it and the guitar -that ebb and flow is crucial for truly inspiring and satisfying playing. While good reamper/attenuators and powerscaling do slightly alter the interaction that get me closest to that bareneacked rawness of a howling Les Paul through a Marshall stack.

8AgICD.jpg

agogetr

has anyone here actually done a real gig? a deluxe is a joke. a drummer will have you wondering what chords you are playing.unless you are miked and through monitors you will be lost. how many watts is the bass player pushing? dont go to a gig with a girls amp. you better take at least 50 watts or 30 matchless type watts.some of the newer 30 watt amps are loud... be carefull or do the smart thing... take 100 watts with an ettenuator..no one will ever turn you into an 'acompanyist'

corpse

I have a 1963 Brown Deluxe and it is loud. And my drummer is a monster.
Yes I have done a gig.
Be nice.

thejaf

has anyone here actually done a real gig? a deluxe is a joke. a drummer will have you wondering what chords you are playing.unless you are miked and through monitors you will be lost. how many watts is the bass player pushing? dont go to a gig with a girls amp. you better take at least 50 watts or 30 matchless type watts.some of the newer 30 watt amps are loud... be carefull or do the smart thing... take 100 watts with an ettenuator..no one will ever turn you into an 'acompanyist'

Except for the odd blues jam or gig, this is my experience as well. Get stuck with a low powered combo in a 5 piece classic or southern rock band and you may as well be on stage doing an interpretive dance. :lol

agogetr

Except for the odd blues jam or gig, this is my experience as well. Get stuck with a low powered combo in a 5 piece classic or southern rock band and you may as well be on stage doing an interpretive dance. :lol
lmao! its true dude! where are these people coming from? does anyone remember why a twin reverb was the industry standard for forty years??? ha ha.
so i play a deluxe reverb .. and the other guitarist shows up with a twin... guess what?... i,m the little echo in the background. and i have to order the drinks