• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

90's 335 Cases- good to fly?

J T

I wouldn't let that guitar in that case go in baggage underneath the airplane. Try and carry it on, but the airline may make you put it underneath at the plane door. If they do that at least you bypass the belts and oversize baggage handling.

J T

I've seen lots of folks carry on acoustic D size cases, if the airline people are having a good day at boarding time, they may allow you to put it in a closet if they have room. Better yet, buy the seat next to you and strap it in. Good to go.

Last edited:

musekatcher

No, not for baggage handling. Delta used to have a hand carry option, and a separate window in the larger airports. Also gate checking is pretty safe, it gets hand carried, and everyone is watching so they don't throw or sling gate checked luggage. But do not check an instrument - any mishap is severe, like falling 6 ft off the top of a dolly, or falling 12ft off a conveyor, or being tossed in the cargo bin during re-stowing to balance the plane weight and cg, etc. I wouldn't trust any case unless the guitar is disposable.

OKGuitar

I fly frequently with a guitar, usually a 335. Rule 1: Be nice. Rule 2: Don't even talk to the ground crew. Regardless of what they tell you (like it won't fit in the overhead), take the guitar to the gate. There are airlines who won't issue a boarding pass if you are carrying a guitar, so don't get your boarding pass from a human being, get it from the kiosk or get it while you're still at home. Rule 3: When the folks at the gate tell you that you can't bring out on board, tell them you will discuss it with the flight crew and will gate check it if necessary (but don't). Rule 4: Fly on a big plane, preferably a newer one. They have bigger bins. Airbus A3xx has big deep bins. Boeing 767, 777 and 787 have deep bins. Some other Boeings have big bins but not older ones. Embraer planes have small bins. Don't fly on an Embraer if you want to get your guitar on board.
Rule 6: Print out the FAA rules for musical instruments and be prepared to read out loud from it to whoever will listen including other passengers. Ive embarrassed the crew into allowing my guitar on board. Here is the link. The important text is "This rule requires that carriers must allow a passenger to carry into the cabin and stow a small musical instrument, such a violin or a guitar, in a suitable baggage compartment, such as the overhead bin or under the seats in accordance with FAA safety regulations." Take flights that aren't full. Pack your guitar as if you can't get it on the plane. Be prepared to buy a seat for it. I've flown over 100 times and have had to check the guitar I'm carrying once. The plane was a little Embraer 145 and there were no seats and no place to put it. I checked it at plane side and watched the guy carefully stow it (and I slipped him $20 but you shouldn't have to do that). The last thing I can add is that recently, the ground crew has been telling me that only guitars in a soft case can be brought on board. I've heard this the last three times I've flown. So, maybe get a good soft case or, even better, get a case cover for your hard case that looks like a soft case. The airline doesn't want to break your guitar. The airline wants you to be happy. Fly safe, folks.

Guitar Whiskey

I fly frequently with a guitar, usually a 335. Rule 1: Be nice. Rule 2: Don't even talk to the ground crew. Regardless of what they tell you (like it won't fit in the overhead), take the guitar to the gate. There are airlines who won't issue a boarding pass if you are carrying a guitar, so don't get your boarding pass from a human being, get it from the kiosk or get it while you're still at home. Rule 3: When the folks at the gate tell you that you can't bring out on board, tell them you will discuss it with the flight crew and will gate check it if necessary (but don't). Rule 4: Fly on a big plane, preferably a newer one. They have bigger bins. Airbus A3xx has big deep bins. Boeing 767, 777 and 787 have deep bins. Some other Boeings have big bins but not older ones. Embraer planes have small bins. Don't fly on an Embraer if you want to get your guitar on board.
Rule 6: Print out the FAA rules for musical instruments and be prepared to read out loud from it to whoever will listen including other passengers. Ive embarrassed the crew into allowing my guitar on board. Here is the link. The important text is "This rule requires that carriers must allow a passenger to carry into the cabin and stow a small musical instrument, such a violin or a guitar, in a suitable baggage compartment, such as the overhead bin or under the seats in accordance with FAA safety regulations." Take flights that aren't full. Pack your guitar as if you can't get it on the plane. Be prepared to buy a seat for it. I've flown over 100 times and have had to check the guitar I'm carrying once. The plane was a little Embraer 145 and there were no seats and no place to put it. I checked it at plane side and watched the guy carefully stow it (and I slipped him $20 but you shouldn't have to do that). The last thing I can add is that recently, the ground crew has been telling me that only guitars in a soft case can be brought on board. I've heard this the last three times I've flown. So, maybe get a good soft case or, even better, get a case cover for your hard case that looks like a soft case. The airline doesn't want to break your guitar. The airline wants you to be happy. Fly safe, folks.

Now that is some sound expert advice. Well researched Charile.