• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Odd circle markings on new Les Paul Classic?

grimaldi

Hi there,

First of all, hi everyone! I've just purchased my first Gibson Les Paul. I've always wanted one as soon as I saw Jimmy Page play one so I splashed out and got the Les Paul Classic in honeyburst.

It's arrived and I love it! However, I just noticed several circle markings on the body below the bridge. Maybe I'm reading too much into this but since it's brand new I wanted to see what some people in the know thought it was. Is it a problem with the finish/varnish? Or just the natural wood grain/knot. The only reason that makes me think it mightn't be there is that there are quite a few close together. Almost like they're watermarks?

I'm sure I'll forget about them in time but then again I am a designer by trade ...so a bit of a fanny when noticing this stuff! So problem is now I've noticed it I can't un-see it.

Attached some pics, it's harder to capture in a photo but I've tried. Is it worth contacting the supplier over the finish?

Thanks,
Steve

Last edited:

jb_abides

Welcome to the joys of Les Pauldom!

These don't appear to be finish issues to my eyes, but shallow intermittent Birdseye patterns in the maple itself. More intense or pronounced Birdseye patterns are desired and coveted by many... Treat as a proud birthmark!

Enjoy and congrats on the Lester :salude

Thundermtn

You're good to go, congrats on a unique and desierable top. Looks to have a lot of chatoyancy too. Cool Classic

Big Al

Geeze, for the 100th time, that is not Birdseye Maple. It is a type of figure called Blister most commonly or Pock, Measle or Bubble Maple less commonly. Birdseye is a different and distinct figure found in Easten Rock, [Hard], Maple.

Nice Les Paul with a pretty top as Thundermtn posted.

edselman

It’s still a natural figure in the wood somewhat akin to the phenomenon that produces birds eye maple. Consider those to be beauty marks.

Big Al

It’s still a natural figure in the wood somewhat akin to the phenomenon that produces birds eye maple. Consider those to be beauty marks.

I clearly stated it was a natural figure known as Blister most comonly. A figure found in Hard Maple like Curly, Fiddleback, Tiger or Flame. Cause by similar process and each representing a particular type of figure.

Birdseye is the result of different formation process unrelated to the other figures and as far as I know unique in appearance as well as unique to Eastern Hard Maple, [Rock, Sugar]. There are some rare Bursts that sport nice Blister figure and at least two with Birdseye. You see a lot of beautiful Blister figure on ES models and archtops.

It's important to keep the terminology straight for consistency and clarity, especially on a knowledge based forum to avoid confusion. At the very least, I think it helpful to give correct information to the op's query, to not only let him know it is a natural wood figure, a gift from Mother Nature to impart a unique interesting personality to his guitar but also the correct name.

It's like calling Fiddleback, Quilt.:hippy:hank

jb_abides

Thanks Al, I stand corrected. In my haste to allay OP fears of a finish issue, I incorrectly identified the figuring... :##

Big Al

Thanks Al, I stand corrected. In my haste to allay OP fears of a finish issue, I incorrectly identified the figuring... :##

No problems, brother. I thought you were spot on, and like you, I find that bonus figure a real plus. Written post never seem to convey my tone. The Blister/Birdseye thing is a common thing that I see and it just tweeks the anal wood nerd in me.:laugh2::laugh2:

Kutt

As stated here it is part of the wood, not a finish defect. If you search around for of images of all kinds of Les Pauls, you'll find plenty of others will the same type of markings.

edselman

I
I clearly stated it was a natural figure known as Blister most comonly. A figure found in Hard Maple like Curly, Fiddleback, Tiger or Flame. Cause by similar process and each representing a particular type of figure.

Birdseye is the result of different formation process unrelated to the other figures and as far as I know unique in appearance as well as unique to Eastern Hard Maple, [Rock, Sugar]. There are some rare Bursts that sport nice Blister figure and at least two with Birdseye. You see a lot of beautiful Blister figure on ES models and archtops.

It's important to keep the terminology straight for consistency and clarity, especially on a knowledge based forum to avoid confusion. At the very least, I think it helpful to give correct information to the op's query, to not only let him know it is a natural wood figure, a gift from Mother Nature to impart a unique interesting personality to his guitar but also the correct name.

It's like calling Fiddleback, Quilt.:hippy:hank
Thank you for your chastisement, I mean clarification.

grimaldi

Thanks for all the feedback!

My initial reaction when I opened the case was that I loved it and it's exactly what I wanted. I know Jimmy Page will play a Standard but I think these Classic models are more like the guitars of that time, if no flame top.

I do quite like the 'spots' and initially did just think it was the pattern of the wood - it was just because there was a few in the same place I should check it out with a few of them being more prominent especially when the light hits it - looking from the pickups/neck down which made me think it might be a 'raised' surface or something to do with the varnish. Especially as they were kinda perfectly circular.

Won't mean anything once I've played for a bit also! ;)

thxphotog

I quite like the 'markings'. Another unique personality trait that makes all of these one of a kind.

Very nice geetar!