• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Identify this 1981 LP

Player1981

Hello all,
i found this 1981 les Paul for sale locally. I’m hoping to buy it this week. Price is $1250. I looked it over and it looks to be in great shape. As far as I can tell it’s not a fake. Although I believe it’s listed as a standard that top looks like the heritage flame colors. I know these pics aren’t great. More info to come.

5E2DC2F8-4E06-495D-AD50-7F1FFC9B7B5C.jpg

Attachments

• 3B99C700-0451-4DED-A336-AC98F4171F2C.jpg
    3B99C700-0451-4DED-A336-AC98F4171F2C.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 58

gibson-r8

A Kahler ? That would kick the price down significantly for me. My 75 Custom had one, it really affected the tone. Much better when I filled the hole and went to a stoptail and ABR.

But maybe you are a dive bomb monster. Nice looking git otherwise.

Player1981

How much would it cost to swap that out? Im looking for my first electric. Price seemed like a great deal. It was just talking to me but I don’t know much about electric guitars or a Les Paul for that matter.

gibson-r8

How much would it cost to swap that out? Im looking for my first electric. Price seemed like a great deal. It was just talking to me but I don’t know much about electric guitars or a Les Paul for that matter.

Oh, to fix that would be very costly. To install a Kahler involves routing a big-assed hole in the top. My brother filled mine, it is visible but not obnoxious, and mine was a custom, not a pretty flame top. Unless you specifically want a Kahler, pass on this one.

Big Al

Heritage Standard 80's have unique features not visable in your pics. There would be a second rank # of 4 digits below the serial# on the three piece mahogany neck with no volute and thin cutaway binding. Great guitars but as others have noted the Kahler kills value and the non factory installation of this added one murders it.

I see no compelling reason to buy this one.