• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Any real differences between a USA '61 Reissue SG and Custom Shop SG's?

Bruce R

I have owned 2 USA '61 SGs in the past and recently played a 2019 USA version at a local shop. This new SG just blew me away! I rarely play a new instrument that I have liked enough to actually buy, but this one was just fantastic. The finish looked vintage (a slight fade), the neck was perfect (like a '61), Burstbucker pickups, and the body appeared to be a single piece. The tuner tips were slightly aged (nice touch) and the hardware, although looking a little chrome-like, was again nickel.

Other than being made in different facilities, how would this USA guitar differ from one made in the Custom Shop? Thanks for your input!

(I am posting a recent thread in the correct Pub this time)

rbig80

I plan on getting one of these. I have had both usa and a custom shop 61 sg. I preferred the usa model, I thought it sounded sweeter.

EFLOW

The 2019 SG Standard '61 is a cool SG, nice vintage cherry finish, cream binding, nickel hardware, Gibson ABR-1 bridge, 1961 design ......

If I had an SG to buy it could be my choice.

sonar

A buddy has a 2017.

Despite the goofy electronics (which he replaced) it’s a really cool guitar. Whenever I’m at his place that’s the guitar I pick up.

StSpider

As far as I understand none of the new Gibson USA guitars equipped with ABR-1 bridges come with real ABRs, aka posts in the wood bridges, but they employ an ABR looking bridge that sits on posts Nashville-style.