The Fender Forum
NEW! LPF Facebook Page
NEW! LPF Instagram Page
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite
    Les Paul Forum Member deytookerjaabs's Avatar

Brought a little somethin' back from Chicago

And boy am I glad I went. It was a fantastic weekend: killer food, my good time buddies pouring liquor like water off halsted, trampled around the beach and, oh, stopped in to my old stomping ground CME where Mr. David sold me one of those Les Paul models off their giant wall:

To think I was going to buy online, silly me, the one I had on hold was not my fav and the one I bought was a very easy choice after spending much time fiddlin' about one after another. Sure, had to give up a couple things too but 100% worth it, would do again. Oh, and that binding bleed is a mother****er, the more you play the more it bleeds! I miss the great north.

Re: Brought a little somethin' back from Chicago

Congrats. Spectacular top. Me like-y flecks! Enjoy...

Congrats and enjoy!

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner Tom Wittrock's Avatar

Nice top!
    Pauls to the walls!

HŁter der Flammen!

PLEASE SUPPORT www.burstserial.com !!
    Click here: www.burstserial.com

Les Paul Forum Member AA00475Bassman's Avatar

'Nice everything , love the dark board !!
    Ive never confused owning a bunch of high end gear with being some kind of a guitar player I'm a hack and I love guitars !

He thinks the mirror is a photo of a clown ?

The Myth: Neat wiring layouts always equate to great-sounding amps.

The Myth: If I would have lived with MOM & mooched till I was 48 I would play like Clapton !
    Think about it
    won't you ...... Please !

congrats on a sweet LP. I really like tops like that

Quote Originally Posted by deytookerjaabs View Post
    And boy am I glad I went. It was a fantastic weekend: killer food, my good time buddies pouring liquor like water off halsted, trampled around the beach and, oh, stopped in to my old stomping ground CME where Mr. David sold me one of those Les Paul models off their giant wall:

To think I was going to buy online, silly me, the one I had on hold was not my fav and the one I bought was a very easy choice after spending much time fiddlin' about one after another. Sure, had to give up a couple things too but 100% worth it, would do again. Oh, and that binding bleed is a mother****er, the more you play the more it bleeds! I miss the great north.

Happy NGD. I am still in the "not even to be remotely interested" phase due to the honeymoon with my new 2018 R9. Came from CME.
    Nice nice piece you got- hope you had the spare liver...

In the Zone/Backstage Pass

Quote Originally Posted by jb_abides View Post
    Congrats. Spectacular top. Me like-y flecks! Enjoy...
    Yep, gotta have flecks--congrats!

Those flecks! congrats & enjoy!

Thanks fellas! Yup, the board is dark and dense. In fact, after cleaning it there wasn't any brown that came up on the cloth so it's the real deal, hehe.

That said, looks were not involved in the purchase, they all looked good in person and even some the standards/traditionals had real nice tops too.

The damage wasn't too bad after trade ins etc. Technically it's a plain top R8 but it's a CME model where they spec'd R9 frets and an R9 neck carve and some other changed specs IIRC, I think the pickups too. So far I only seem to like it more with every passing hour, practiced on it all week, brought it out last night, rehearsal today, etc. Good Times

Les Paul Forum Member porterburst's Avatar

Sweet Les Paul, and a great shop to purchase it from.

Les Paul Forum Member

Congrats on a most fine Les Paul NGD !

Sweet rig DeTook! Nice flame on that one. Moaner or a biter?

Les Paul Forum Member fernieite's Avatar

Love that top!

Nice! Congrats, HNGD and play her in good health!
    Midnight Blues

I took my two 2015 True Historics to a decent repair man who scrapped the binding white and rolled it so it looked correct. Love not having pink binding ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
    Sweet rig DeTook! Nice flame on that one. Moaner or a biter?

Uh, gonna go with Biter here, I think. Hmmmm.

Thanks!

Uh, gonna go with Biter here, I think. Hmmmm.
    moaner/biter I think Big Al coined those terms

I'm glad u found one that you like, and me, I prefer the biters, the way they cut through the mix. Here's mine (R0)...

this looks great. is it one of the CME serial R8 with all R9 specs? im looking at one of the guitars they have listed on reverb. wondering if they deal on the price at all

Quote Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
    moaner/biter I think Big Al coined those terms

I'm glad u found one that you like, and me, I prefer the biters, the way they cut through the mix. Here's mine (R0)...

So much flame!!!! Very nice.

Quote Originally Posted by wsaraceni View Post
    this looks great. is it one of the CME serial R8 with all R9 specs? im looking at one of the guitars they have listed on reverb. wondering if they deal on the price at all
    Yes, and I'll say I really liked both of the 2019 CME-Spec R8's that were available to play, my favorites of the bunch & my "final two," though I didn't try the stuff too far out of my range. You'll have to ask about pricing etc, you can message Mr. David @CMExchange who posts'em on this forum.

So much flame!!!! Very nice.

Yes, and I'll say I really liked both of the 2019 CME-Spec R8's that were available to play, my favorites of the bunch & my "final two," though I didn't try the stuff too far out of my range. You'll have to ask about pricing etc, you can message Mr. David @CMExchange who posts'em on this forum.
    Thanks. Iíll message him once I get closer to having funds ready. No point to bother before that.

The dark boards on these really are a nice feature thatís sets the looks off from the others.

This thread did a few things for me. As just about 3 weeks back I went to CHicago for work and took an Uber over to CME. I’ve been wanting a R8 or R9 forever. But generally I never play them because I don’t want to disappoint myself when I don’t buy it. Anyways, I’ve been getting more serious lately, selling stuff and saving the funds. I decided to try three or 4. All custom shop bursts but no clue on the model. One was a used one on a couch. Another on a stand next to it. One or two that caught my eye on the racks. All good. Nothing blew me away though. Then I saw one of the best looking ones. It’s very similar to yours in looks. dark board. “Plain” top that’s actually pretty good figuring. I had really hoped this wasn’t the one. It wasn’t. So I sold a few more things, contacted CME and the. Bought my first les Paul. I wonder if I ended up with the other one out of your “final two”

Thanks for not buying the one I fell for.

Thanks for lighting a fire under my ..

Enjoy your guitar. Can’t wait for mine to ship hopefully tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by wsaraceni View Post
    This thread did a few things for me. As just about 3 weeks back I went to CHicago for work and took an Uber over to CME. Iíve been wanting a R8 or R9 forever. But generally I never play them because I donít want to disappoint myself when I donít buy it. Anyways, Iíve been getting more serious lately, selling stuff and saving the funds. I decided to try three or 4. All custom shop bursts but no clue on the model. One was a used one on a couch. Another on a stand next to it. One or two that caught my eye on the racks. All good. Nothing blew me away though. Then I saw one of the best looking ones. Itís very similar to yours in looks. dark board. ďPlainĒ top thatís actually pretty good figuring. I had really hoped this wasnít the one. It wasnít. So I sold a few more things, contacted CME and the. Bought my first les Paul. I wonder if I ended up with the other one out of your ďfinal twoĒ

Thanks for not buying the one I fell for.

Thanks for lighting a fire under my ..

Enjoy your guitar. Canít wait for mine to ship hopefully tomorrow.

Oh man, if it's the CME spec one you got a bad boy. The other CME spec was my second choice but who knows how many there were in total as I didn't count. Unplugged, it was louder, vibrated a bit more and a bit more aggressive than the one I picked out. I chose mine because it had something that sounds stupid if you try to explain it but it has a certain kind of "tone suck" softness unplugged yet somehow gave it a ton of clarity/articulation plugged in. Some of the reissues were so boomy & big they almost sounded like an ES guitar on the neck pickup. To some, I may have picked out the worst guitar, lol, but for me it reminded most of what I wanted to hear/feel in my head.

Oh man, if it's the CME spec one you got a bad boy. The other CME spec was my second choice but who knows how many there were in total as I didn't count. Unplugged, it was louder, vibrated a bit more and a bit more aggressive than the one I picked out. I chose mine because it had something that sounds stupid if you try to explain it but it has a certain kind of "tone suck" softness unplugged yet somehow gave it a ton of clarity/articulation plugged in. Some of the reissues were so boomy & big they almost sounded like an ES guitar on the neck pickup. To some, I may have picked out the worst guitar, lol, but for me it reminded most of what I wanted to hear/feel in my head.
    It was actually this one. Vibrated a bit more is exactly how in described it to a few other people. Thanks for not buying it. Glad you enjoy yours. It looks amazing. I think there were 4 CMe R8ís there when I was there.

https://www.chicagomusicexchange.com...90055/21469544

Congrats! Lotta mineral runs on her!
    Old WOOD Is Good WOOD !!!