• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

string buzz question

handwerk

i have a 2017 356 purchased beginning of july. had set up by my tech in ny-very good work, no problem.
i changed strings to same brand same gauge. put strings on one at a time to maintain tension.
suddenly the high e string is buzzing very very badly, every fret, and open even.
so much so it sounds like that old 60's song w/guitar, 'hooked on a feeling'. i forget what kind of guitar they use.
i've never had this experience before. a slight buzz which usually effects more than one string which is corrected by
raising the bridge/which i did to no avail. any ideas? thank you, richard

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
That sound was from a Coral Sitar guitar.
It seems your bridge saddle is giving you the sitar effect. Try lifting the string out of the groove in the saddle and just rest it on the top of the saddle [away from the groove]. Does it still make the sound? If not, your saddle groove needs a slight filing.

Last edited:

Elmore

I had a similar problem that drove me nuts. It turned out to be the wire on the ABR1 bridge. Taking it off solved the problem, but then you risk losing saddles. I bought a new Gibson Historic bridge which performs nicely.

corpse

The string could be hitting on the head of the screw on the bridge.