• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Pickguard issue on 1967 ES 335

Grog

It looks a lot like my 1967 ES-335, but it is a bit puzzling. Could just be the "Old Lady Syndrome" or a replaced guard.....

[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]
0BeEbcp.jpg
[/FONT]

fakejake

Nothing wrong as far as I can see. The pickguard can be rotated along the axis of the screw on the top, by lengthening or shortening the part on the bracket that is attached to the side of the guitar. Aligning it in parallel with the stings would take 30 seconds and a screwdriver.

Wally

The pick guard screw there by that neck is not original. I think there is a possibility that this is a replacement guard, and they misplaced that hole in the pick guard. If one pulled that screw and loosened the waist attachment screw, the guard maybe could be rotated to fit as fakejake notes...but then the hole in the p’guard would not sit to fit into the hole in the guitar.

Norton

A few years ago I picked up a vintage guard to replace the one missing from one of my EB-2's and ran into the same issue. The exact location of the upper hole drilled in the guards seems to vary from one to another and possibly more so from year to year. I was faced with the decision to fill the hole in the bass and re-drill, bend or modify the guard or leave it off. I decided to just leave it off in the hopes I get lucky enough to find a match one day.

Grog

A few years ago I picked up a vintage guard to replace the one missing from one of my EB-2's and ran into the same issue. The exact location of the upper hole drilled in the guards seems to vary from one to another and possibly more so from year to year. I was faced with the decision to fill the hole in the bass and re-drill, bend or modify the guard or leave it off. I decided to just leave it off in the hopes I get lucky enough to find a match one day.

I have a 1967 EB-2 that had a cutaway in the pickguard for a hand rest that was never installed from the factory, no holes drilled in the guitar. For whatever reason, it bugged me. I came across a 1965 EB-2 in rough shape with a pickguard that had no cutaway. I gave the owner some cash & swapped out the pickguards. It fit perfectly. Sounds like I might have lucked out more than I realized......

JimR56

The gap between the guard and the neck pickup is not going to be solved by rotating on the neck screw axis and adjusting the waist attachment. That's either a replacement guard, or somebody drilled a new hole (too far from the neck) to re-install it.

I would remove the guard and look for another hole (filled in or otherwise) closer to the neck). If there is, it looks like there's a little bit of space between the upper edge of the guard and the upper end of the neck, allowing for the gap to be closed (the upper edge of the guard isn't flush with the neck in the photo). If there isn't another hole or filled in hole, I would look for a better-fitting guard.

Norton

I have a 1967 EB-2 that had a cutaway in the pickguard for a hand rest that was never installed from the factory, no holes drilled in the guitar. For whatever reason, it bugged me. I came across a 1965 EB-2 in rough shape with a pickguard that had no cutaway. I gave the owner some cash & swapped out the pickguards. It fit perfectly. Sounds like I might have lucked out more than I realized......

Luckier than I was at least. I've tried swaping the guards off other basses and they're all slightly different, though none are as far off as the one I bought. One day I'll find a match.

XLIw6tt.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Grog

1967 EB-2 with 1965 pickguard..... It looks like the hole in your guitar is where it should be.

BR6N5yz.jpg