• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Heritage G12H30 55hz vs Pulsonic G12H30s

goldtop0

What's the low down with you guys who have or have used both of these.
Given that the new ones are now broken in do they compare favourably with the '60s/70s pulsonics?

mdubya

Guess I'll have to get a pulsonic and give it a whirl.

You owe it to yourself! Do it. :hank

My take: I have played lots of Celestion and greenback clones. I own Pulsonic G12M greybacks. At the very least you will have a standard by which to judge other clones. I would not buy a current production Celestion. Best speaker I have ever heard/played through is a quartet of Ted Weber era greenback Weber G12M's. I have some early 90's G12M reissues and they are pretty close to the Pulsonic greys. I would probably buy WGS speakers over current Celestions. JMHO.

ScumbackSpeakers

One of my local buddies got a 412 Handwired cab with these in it a few months back. He only had a 20w Ceriatone amp, so he borrowed one of my 100w Plexi clones. He's been pummeling them for about 3-4 months a few hours per day. He says only now that they are getting broken in a little and the high end is reduced. The cab was a good 8-9 years old already when he got it, so it had some play time on it already.

He says he's going to return my 100w next week now they've mellowed out a bit. But he didn't think he'd get them broken in with a 20w head for a really long time.

Just his opinion on what it takes to get them dialed in, figured I'd share his thoughts.

goldtop0

One of my local buddies got a 412 Handwired cab with these in it a few months back. He only had a 20w Ceriatone amp, so he borrowed one of my 100w Plexi clones. He's been pummeling them for about 3-4 months a few hours per day. He says only now that they are getting broken in a little and the high end is reduced. The cab was a good 8-9 years old already when he got it, so it had some play time on it already.

He says he's going to return my 100w next week now they've mellowed out a bit. But he didn't think he'd get them broken in with a 20w head for a really long time.

Just his opinion on what it takes to get them dialed in, figured I'd share his thoughts.

Thanks for that Jim. These modern Celestions need a good deal of break in time from what's been said.
The modern ones I've got haven't got any doping so I would have thought they would be broken in in a reasonable amount of time........seems not to be the case.

Last edited:

Dishimyuh

What's the low down with you guys who have or have used both of these.
Given that the new ones are now broken in do they compare favourably with the '60s/70s pulsonics?

I have a late 60's straight box loaded with 014 cones, and to my ear the Heritage speakers sound nothing like them. They are way too bright and raspy.

goldtop0

I have a late 60's straight box loaded with 014 cones, and to my ear the Heritage speakers sound nothing like them. They are way too bright and raspy.

Thanks for that.
That's my experience too when I tried one of my Heritage 12s in my 1974X combo..............too raspy and mushy for my liking..........those pulsonic cones can't be beat.
I've got a handful of the old '60s alnicos and they're different(better tone) than the current production Blues.

Dishimyuh

I tried to break one in with a Variac and it still sounded like trash.

goldtop0

I tried to break one in with a Variac and it still sounded like trash.

So they're tough little critters.
I've got a 1960HW cab here that I'll eventually get 4 x pulsonics for.......may take some time to collect though as they're not that available these days.

ScumbackSpeakers

I left the bastard on for HOURS, no improvement.

I broke in a local player's G12-65. it took four days plus. Even then I still don't feel they're nearly as broken in as they could be. Going to need some high volume playing to get it done, I'm afraid. Yes, they were better after four days, but still fairly stiff.