• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Damage on my 2018 Les Paul CH. How well can it be fixed?

KR1

Well brother Tor,

There you have it. Pick your favorite response and crack on... :hmm

Summary: Use the tech who has experience with a steam treatment (localized, soldering iron/paper/water) and lacquer fill/lacquer tint. GoldTone has the repair cost right - this is not true Lutherie; this is skill with a very small bit of heat/lacquer. The repair will not be invisible if you throw a fluorescent light on it, but it should be unnoticeable if done correctly. For a musical instrument, that’s entirely good enough [in my opinion].

None of the minor repair or adjustment issues are complex. They do require experience and practice to do well and get done efficiently, but the vast majority of players who know how to play and interpret music and generally keep their fingertips in the right place can learn how to do most of it.

While you ponder, just play it.

Tor

What sort of accident caused this at your home? I like to know so that I can avoid it.
Not to trow some one under the buss, *cough wife cough*

But yah.. Things happens.

I got 4 other guitars in my living room that are not in their cases, I got two children, one of them only 2,5 years old.
Never had a damage or ding I din't make my self. This guitar, it happened in less then 4 days. And the only day the guitar wasn't in its case.

Tor

Well brother Tor,

There you have it. Pick your favorite response and crack on... :hmm

Summary: Use the tech who has experience with a steam treatment (localized, soldering iron/paper/water) and lacquer fill/lacquer tint. GoldTone has the repair cost right - this is not true Lutherie; this is skill with a very small bit of heat/lacquer. The repair will not be invisible if you throw a fluorescent light on it, but it should be unnoticeable if done correctly. For a musical instrument, that’s entirely good enough [in my opinion].

None of the minor repair or adjustment issues are complex. They do require experience and practice to do well and get done efficiently, but the vast majority of players who know how to play and interpret music and generally keep their fingertips in the right place can learn how to do most of it.

While you ponder, just play it.

Got a hold of a luthier which seems to have a good reputation.
Gonna deliver my Guitar and hopefully get it back already next week.

As soon as i get it back, I will post new pictures so you get to see the finished result.
Let's hope for the best! To all of you that have comment on this thread, have a great weekend :)

Last edited:

zacknorton

Please don’t take this the wrong way.

Leave it and play it. There’s no repair that needs to be done.

Thinknof those dings as tattoos or something. It’s simply not worth thinking about.

Shift your focus toward making music with your beautiful guitar.

Tor

Please don’t take this the wrong way.

Leave it and play it. There’s no repair that needs to be done.

Thinknof those dings as tattoos or something. It’s simply not worth thinking about.

Shift your focus toward making music with your beautiful guitar.

Non taken... I'am just not that kind of a person. Unfortunately. :dang

youngneil1

I'am located in Halden, Østfold :)

I think this is something that Trond Gudmestad could fix for you. He does most of the maintenance for Jonas Fjeld on his vintage Gibsons etc. Google him.

Bluesman1956

Tor, also a slightly different take on this.

I personally wouldn't touch it up at all, it's now part and parcel of your guitar, and no less beautiful for it.

Play the bloody paint off it Pal.

:salude
I agree play that guitar, mine had a few Dings and scratches when I first got her but I’m so into the guitars playability and tone I never even think about till now, lol 😂

Tor

Thnx for all the nice ideas and suggestions. It's deeply appreciated, but I've already made up my mind about getting the guitar "fixed" :)

As i'am writing this, the guitar is at Gulden Guitars i Norway.
Seems to be a luthier with a good reputation, and he was confident that it would be a nice touch up with little to no visible marks.
Which was exactly what i wanted from the start.

Estimated time is about one more week.
I also mention that i will post pictures as soon as i get the guitar back. So stay tune for that. :)

Tor

And finally, i got my guitar back! Sorry for the wait.. I've been on a short vacation to Spain :)
As for the result, I paid 485 US dollar for the repair. Under normal light, you almost can't see it.

Still wish it could be just a tad more invisible. But i'am responsible happy with the result.

I also include some other picture of the guitar :)
Damage.jpgDamage-fixt.jpgFront1.jpgSide1.jpgside2.jpg

corpse

Now get the Men in Black hand light, stare at it, push the button and sha-zam- it never happened. Nothing to see here folks...

El Gringo

Welcome , That is a fine beauty of a Les Paul . Both in figure and color . I know how it feels to get something you love dinged and it is a major bummer , so I can relate to that as well . Now on to the positive side of things , to me it looks like it was a very well done job of getting rid of that eyesore of a blemish . While the amount you said it cost was not chump change the luthier who performed the repair did an excellent job and my compliments to him . From your posts it does not look like from start to finish that it took that long to get it done and for that also , the luthier should be complimented as well . Now go out and have some fun and rock out on that mighty fine Les Paul !!!!!!!!!

Niloy63

Glad to hear that the repair worked out well, Tor. Now go play some awesome music with that beautiful guitar! :dude:

57Strat777

Beautiful guitar! I am glad to hear to got your baby fixed, but $485 for that repair was highway robbery. My R8 had 3 or 4 similar dings on the back of the neck and my luthier charged me $40 to fix it. He told me the process is easy. He filled the dings with multiple coats of lacquer letting each coat dry until the ding was filled. He was doing a refret at the time, so maybe he gave me a better deal on the ding repair. He leveled the fretboard, refretted with stainless frets, installed a new bone nut and fixed those dings I mentioned. Total cost for all that was $390.

Last edited: