The Fender Forum
NEW! LPF Facebook Page
NEW! LPF Instagram Page
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Les Paul Forum Member

Damage on my 2018 Les Paul CH. How well can it be fixed?

Not the way I wanted too start of my first post, but..

After about 1,5 years of searching, I found my dream les paul. Nice top, sounding amazing good weight. I was stoked!
    Unfortunately, I got some bad news.. There was an acident at home. My guitar got hit.

A part of me got really bombed out ..It's not like R9 grows on tree in my country. (Norway) And it gets much harder when ur trying to find something specific. (grains, top, etc..)
    Its not the money part that get's me. (even doh that's kind of not awsm as well ) There's just not easy going out and find a new one.

Another part of me hopes that this maybe could be fixed to a degree that its 99% OK.

So, any real experience with repairs like this?
    Damage.jpg
    And i picture of the guitar it's self.
    Pic1JPG.jpg

Re: Damage on my 2018 Les Paul CH. How well can it be fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by Tor View Post
    Not the way I wanted too start of my first post, but..

After about 1,5 years of searching, I found my dream les paul. Nice top, sounding amazing good weight. I was stoked!
    Unfortunately, I got some bad news.. There was an acident at home. My guitar got hit.

A part of me got really bombed out ..It's not like R9 grows on tree in my country. (Norway) And it gets much harder when ur trying to find something specific. (grains, top, etc..)
    Its not the money part that get's me. (even doh that's kind of not awsm as well ) There's just not easy going out and find a new one.

Another part of me hopes that this maybe could be fixed to a degree that its 99% OK.

So, any real experience with repairs like this?
    Damage.jpg
    And i picture of the guitar it's self.
    Pic1JPG.jpg
    Hi, good news is it can be fixed where you won't even see it. Your guitar is finished in lacquer which new lacquer will melt into the old. Looks like you might need to to a slight color fill, and then you'll drop fill with lacquer, drop by drop until it's filled. Then you'll sand out the spot and buff it back. If you want to do this yourself, google "drop fills" for guitar. If this isn't something you feel comfortable doing yourself, any good repairman will be able to sort you out. Good luck.

Les Paul Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zeppelinguy85 View Post
    Hi, good news is it can be fixed where you won't even see it. Your guitar is finished in lacquer which new lacquer will melt into the old. Looks like you might need to to a slight color fill, and then you'll drop fill with lacquer, drop by drop until it's filled. Then you'll sand out the spot and buff it back. If you want to do this yourself, google "drop fills" for guitar. If this isn't something you feel comfortable doing yourself, any good repairman will be able to sort you out. Good luck.
    Sure hope so, since it seems to me like the actual wood it self is compressed underneath the damage area. Thanks for a uplifting comment

A slightly different opinion but it’s just one way to approach this:

First, the wood is compressed - yes. A lacquer fill, alone, is not going to make that ding disappear. A complete repair would involve re-shooting a fair amount of finish and then blending the entire area.

However, If a steam repair is applied directly to the ding it will very likely bring the mahogany back up quite a bit. From that point, a lacquer fill will help to level the surface. Even with a color fill and then a clear drop-fill, a small “fish-eye” will be visible as the drop-fill will reconstitute the color fill somewhat.

I would approach the repair this way and live with that small visual anomaly rather than trying to blend a much larger area of color after filling and deeply sanding the cut-away. It’s an option.

Les Paul Forum Member Gold Tone's Avatar

Super easy fix by a qualified luthier!!!dont worry, you won’t ever see it once fixed and should be fairly cheap to fix

Quote Originally Posted by Gold Tone View Post
    Super easy fix by a qualified luthier!!!dont worry, you won’t ever see it once fixed and should be fairly cheap to fix
    Technique?

Les Paul Forum Member

Nothing to fix, u just got it reliced.

if you become rock star someday, someone would pay few grand to get exactly the same ding

Quote Originally Posted by KR1 View Post
    Technique?
    What are you asking?

What are you asking?
    What method of fixing that ding would be super easy, super cheap, and invisible?

What I described above has produced good results over many repairs but with lacquer, “invisible” with any sort of spot repair is unobtanium. Opaque black lacquer is pretty easy, yes, but clear reconstituted over red has always produced some visual evidence. So, I’m curious-
    Last edited by KR1; 08-13-19 at 08:52 AM.

Les Paul Forum Member ourmaninthenorth's Avatar

Tor, also a slightly different take on this.

I personally wouldn't touch it up at all, it's now part and parcel of your guitar, and no less beautiful for it.

Play the bloody paint off it Pal.

Shakespeare walks into a pub, the Landlord says "get out, you're Bard"

What method of fixing that ding would be super easy, super cheap, and invisible?

What I described above has produced good results over many repairs but with lacquer, “invisible” with any sort of spot repair is unobtanium. Opaque black lacquer is pretty easy, yes, but clear reconstituted over red has always produced some visual evidence. So, I’m curious-
    I’ve had a few such dings repaired over the decades from accidents here and there, usually gigs. Luthier filled with lacquer (steam rose wood 1st if necessary) cut polish, repeat. Takes several weeks of petience while lacquer shrinks. Sometimes repeat if lacquer shrinks.

The damage is within the cutaway and is dyed red so very easy to repair with no evidence of damage. There is no missing colour so no need for any colour matching or blending. This is a very simple fix.

Lacquer can in fact be repaired to invisible as the old and new will “melt” together as witnessed on my own repaired finish on a few guitars

Of course if you pull out a microscope you could probably see the repair.

I’ve had a few such dings repaired over the decades from accidents here and there, usually gigs. Luthier filled with lacquer (steam rose wood 1st if necessary) cut polish, repeat. Takes several weeks of petience while lacquer shrinks. Sometimes repeat if lacquer shrinks.

The damage is within the cutaway and is dyed red so very easy to repair with no evidence of damage. There is no missing colour so no need for any colour matching or blending. This is a very simple fix.

Lacquer can in fact be repaired to invisible as the old and new will “melt” together as witnessed on my own repaired finish on a few guitars

Of course if you pull out a microscope you could probably see the repair.
    Yep; understood.

The “lens” effect that occurs with new clear or tinted lacquer is the bugger. That’s the issue that I’ve had mixed results with over the years and would be interested to know if anyone’s discovered a remedy beyond color-fill or an outright refinish/blend. This is much more of an issue on tops for those so focused, absolutely.

How are things in beautiful Vancouver?

BR,

Yep; understood.

The “lens” effect that occurs with new clear or tinted lacquer is the bugger. That’s the issue that I’ve had mixed results with over the years and would be interested to know if anyone’s discovered a remedy beyond color-fill or an outright refinish/blend. This is much more of an issue on tops for those so focused, absolutely.

How are things in beautiful Vancouver?

BR,
    The lens effect is pretty hard to reduce or eliminate for sure. Depending on lighting and type of damage it can be a bigger.

Things are great in Vancouver...I’m so lucky to live in paradise. A bit “smokey” since the legalization in October though!

The lens effect is pretty hard to reduce or eliminate for sure. Depending on lighting and type of damage it can be a bigger.

Things are great in Vancouver...I’m so lucky to live in paradise. A bit “smokey” since the legalization in October though!
    OT:

Vancouver and Sydney: THE TWO most amazing cities I've had the pleasure to visit over the last 42 years of flying.

Colorado is wonderful; Vancouver is amazing.

Colorado is beautiful with the mountains and wilderness...a gem. Plus the ladies are gorgeous

Les Paul Forum Member

Thnx for answers so far.. Tried to reach out to two shops, but no answer so far. (Bumer)
    But tomorrow i will make some calls. If its not 99% gone. I'am thinking of just leave it. And see if i can do such thing :P

I think most buyer in my country turnes away from damage on guitar, so I'am bit worried of the resales value.

Les Paul Forum Member

Take it a professional to fix if you're concerned about resale value. If the guitar is "the one" however, I would just leave it and consider the cosmetic dings part of the breaking in process.
    2007 CR8
    2000 Elegant
    1953 J50

Les Paul Forum Member

Just want to add that this sort 9f repair is not the 'cheap easy thing' that some (seemingly the completely inexperienced as they offer no details) suggest.

Having made a lot of guitars and had to do a lot of paint repairs due to various issues over the years, I'd agree it's something that should be able to be done if time and effort is thrown at it by someone with a lot of experience in tinting dropfill, plus steaming out dings in a tight location.
    In short, it's not likely to be cheap or easy.
    And listen to the people who offer the techniques in their posts. They are the ones who know what they are talking about.

...yet we continue to see responses that are patently incorrect suggesting this is a difficult or expensive repair based on self professed excellence in ability.

My own recommendation came from 40 years of playing and gigging where such hits were not uncommon. Each and every time lacquer fill, steam up wood (uncompressed) on rare occasion, cut polish, buff

If you’d have read my earlier post you’d have seen that...that which you paraphrased.

Takes time only for lacquer to cure / shrink over several weeks. Hell, you can bring it home and play it while that time is passing, then go back for less than 30min to cut and buff.

Maybe $100 -$150 depending on your guy. This is luthiery 101

But, I shouldn’t be telling you, you know how this works

What sort of accident caused this at your home? I like to know so that I can avoid it.

Well brother Tor,

There you have it. Pick your favorite response and crack on...

Summary: Use the tech who has experience with a steam treatment (localized, soldering iron/paper/water) and lacquer fill/lacquer tint. GoldTone has the repair cost right - this is not true Lutherie; this is skill with a very small bit of heat/lacquer. The repair will not be invisible if you throw a fluorescent light on it, but it should be unnoticeable if done correctly. For a musical instrument, that’s entirely good enough [in my opinion].

None of the minor repair or adjustment issues are complex. They do require experience and practice to do well and get done efficiently, but the vast majority of players who know how to play and interpret music and generally keep their fingertips in the right place can learn how to do most of it.

While you ponder, just play it.

Les Paul Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by colnago1 View Post
    What sort of accident caused this at your home? I like to know so that I can avoid it.
    Not to trow some one under the buss, *cough wife cough*

But yah.. Things happens.

I got 4 other guitars in my living room that are not in their cases, I got two children, one of them only 2,5 years old.
    Never had a damage or ding I din't make my self. This guitar, it happened in less then 4 days. And the only day the guitar wasn't in its case.

Les Paul Forum Member

Well brother Tor,

There you have it. Pick your favorite response and crack on...

Summary: Use the tech who has experience with a steam treatment (localized, soldering iron/paper/water) and lacquer fill/lacquer tint. GoldTone has the repair cost right - this is not true Lutherie; this is skill with a very small bit of heat/lacquer. The repair will not be invisible if you throw a fluorescent light on it, but it should be unnoticeable if done correctly. For a musical instrument, that’s entirely good enough [in my opinion].

None of the minor repair or adjustment issues are complex. They do require experience and practice to do well and get done efficiently, but the vast majority of players who know how to play and interpret music and generally keep their fingertips in the right place can learn how to do most of it.

While you ponder, just play it.
    Got a hold of a luthier which seems to have a good reputation.
    Gonna deliver my Guitar and hopefully get it back already next week.

As soon as i get it back, I will post new pictures so you get to see the finished result.
    Let's hope for the best! To all of you that have comment on this thread, have a great weekend
    Last edited by Tor; 08-17-19 at 10:24 AM.

Tor, where in Norway are you located?

Please don’t take this the wrong way.

Leave it and play it. There’s no repair that needs to be done.

Thinknof those dings as tattoos or something. It’s simply not worth thinking about.

Shift your focus toward making music with your beautiful guitar.

Les Paul Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by youngneil1 View Post
    Tor, where in Norway are you located?
    I'am located in Halden, Østfold

Les Paul Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by zacknorton View Post
    Please don’t take this the wrong way.

Leave it and play it. There’s no repair that needs to be done.

Thinknof those dings as tattoos or something. It’s simply not worth thinking about.

Shift your focus toward making music with your beautiful guitar.
    Non taken... I'am just not that kind of a person. Unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by Tor View Post
    I'am located in Halden, Østfold
    I think this is something that Trond Gudmestad could fix for you. He does most of the maintenance for Jonas Fjeld on his vintage Gibsons etc. Google him.

Les Paul Forum Member porterburst's Avatar

Drop filled, leveled, buffed out, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by ourmaninthenorth View Post
    Tor, also a slightly different take on this.

I personally wouldn't touch it up at all, it's now part and parcel of your guitar, and no less beautiful for it.

Play the bloody paint off it Pal.

I agree play that guitar, mine had a few Dings and scratches when I first got her but I’m so into the guitars playability and tone I never even think about till now, lol 😂

I would just leave it like that.

I have a 2006 LP Classic tobacco burst that's got dents everywhere, chipped headstock etc.

Every guitar has a story ... you can fix that easily actually with a lacquer repair melted in and buffed but I seriously would just let it have a battle scar.

Attachment 10178Attachment 10179Attachment 10180Attachment 10181Attachment 10182

Les Paul Forum Member

Thnx for all the nice ideas and suggestions. It's deeply appreciated, but I've already made up my mind about getting the guitar "fixed"

As i'am writing this, the guitar is at Gulden Guitars i Norway.
    Seems to be a luthier with a good reputation, and he was confident that it would be a nice touch up with little to no visible marks.
    Which was exactly what i wanted from the start.

Estimated time is about one more week.
    I also mention that i will post pictures as soon as i get the guitar back. So stay tune for that.

Hope it works out for you in the end.

Les Paul Forum Member

And finally, i got my guitar back! Sorry for the wait.. I've been on a short vacation to Spain
    As for the result, I paid 485 US dollar for the repair. Under normal light, you almost can't see it.

Still wish it could be just a tad more invisible. But i'am responsible happy with the result.

I also include some other picture of the guitar
    Damage.jpgDamage-fixt.jpgFront1.jpgSide1.jpgside2.jpg

Looks like he did a great.

on the middle & bridge pickup of my L.P. Custom

Looks great!

Now get the Men in Black hand light, stare at it, push the button and sha-zam- it never happened. Nothing to see here folks...

Les Paul Forum Member

Welcome , That is a fine beauty of a Les Paul . Both in figure and color . I know how it feels to get something you love dinged and it is a major bummer , so I can relate to that as well . Now on to the positive side of things , to me it looks like it was a very well done job of getting rid of that eyesore of a blemish . While the amount you said it cost was not chump change the luthier who performed the repair did an excellent job and my compliments to him . From your posts it does not look like from start to finish that it took that long to get it done and for that also , the luthier should be complimented as well . Now go out and have some fun and rock out on that mighty fine Les Paul !!!!!!!!!

Glad to hear that the repair worked out well, Tor. Now go play some awesome music with that beautiful guitar!
    "Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." -Mahatma Gandhi
    My music: Mytochon - Soundcloud Page

Les Paul Forum Member 57Strat777's Avatar

Beautiful guitar! I am glad to hear to got your baby fixed, but $485 for that repair was highway robbery. My R8 had 3 or 4 similar dings on the back of the neck and my luthier charged me $40 to fix it. He told me the process is easy. He filled the dings with multiple coats of lacquer letting each coat dry until the ding was filled. He was doing a refret at the time, so maybe he gave me a better deal on the ding repair. He leveled the fretboard, refretted with stainless frets, installed a new bone nut and fixed those dings I mentioned. Total cost for all that was $390.
    Last edited by 57Strat777; 09-11-19 at 08:50 AM.