• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Calling USA Grover Gurus

stratty109

Hello folks - I've been looking for Grover gurus to provide a history of Rotomatic and Futura tuners - dates, cosmetic and mechanical changes, rarity, what LPs came stock with which, and possibly a subjective assessment of the quality of each. I have several sets and am trying to figure out which to hold onto and which are era correct for a few of my guitars and thought it would be a good thing to create a reference online. Posted something similar on another forum and got nowhere - certainly someone knows a thing or two here?

"Rotomatic Futura" seems to be the original name for non open back Grovers with the two piece casings (flat back with no convex cap and riveted / peened together) The original boxes reflect this. Did these "Futuras" predate the completely sealed ones or did they coexist at one point, with one considered higher end? Anyone know date ranges?

And what's the deal with the reversible "bullseye" tuners and those with the star on the rear dome? Date ranges for any of these?

Have only found one link on older forums to a Grover history page, and it now redirects to a boutique pickup maker.

Not even trying to get into the asian made ones in this thread, though they are certainly variants there as well, but any info on Rotomatic history is welcome!

stratty109

Great info - little unfamiliar with the site after a while away and hadn't caught your sticky. I agree that the first generation asian rotos were excellent - have a set that were stock on my '54 LP staple pup black beauty historic - thought of changing them out when the wafflebacks became available, but they are so smooth and accurate, I didn't want to risk it. My guess, and I emphasize this is a guess given the era (late 80s/early 90s), that they were made in Japan at the time. I know some Grovers are made by Ping now. They have the P.W. for Ping Works, I think, on the rear, and seem very smooth and accurate, but not quite as solid as the debossed lettering ones you refer to. Probably China production for the Pings. Where they were manufactured in between is anyone's guess. I have a set of the first generation that have no hole in the string spindle but instead have a screw down top and a bushing that pinches the string. Never tried them and don't know the consensus on them. Can dig them out and send a pic if you're interested.

Getting back to the USA made machines, do you know anything about the reversible bullseye tuners and when they were made? I have a set that have imperial style buttons but most have kidney buttons. They are also flat on the back, no milk bottle, but are definitely USA production. As to the different style you discuss, with the flat back and two piece peened construction, they were called Rotomatic Futura. Seems most people are guessing as to production dates and no one seems to know if they coexisted with the others, preceded them, were a temporary design change, or were a cheaper model. Your comment that you have never seen them on a Gibson makes me believe that they were the first rotomatic design or a budget model.

Something you might want to include on your page, is that the USA Grovers, except for the Futuras, disaasemble easily and can be lubricated - one reason I like them - even "sealed" mechs have lube that can gum up over time. I have not managed to disassemble the Asian models or the Futuras, though I never tried to pop off the convex caps on the back for fear they would not hold well afterward. Lastly, the earlier USA made rotos are not black anodized on the exposed end of the worm shaft - they show the color of the metal.

Last edited: