• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Fender Deluxe Reverb '68 reissue problems (howling noise)

workleg

Hi all. I've had this problem with my Fender Reverb Deluxe 68 reissue, which
I'll try to describe to the best of my ability.
This happens intermittently once the amp warms up and also keeps getting louder
and quieter intermittently. It's a static kind of noise which does not depend on the volume knob
(sounds like when wind blows into a microphone) and sometimes
the sound of the guitar degrades noticeable. Note that if I hit the amp with
hand, the problem sometimes stops and all is good again.
The problem seems to have to do with the second/vintage channel. If I pull V2 tube
(and leave the V1 in), the problem never comes back (while I play on channel 1 obviously), which
makes me rule out the channel 1 circuit and the power stage (is the power stage shared among
the two channels?)
So far I've tried swapping all tubes, but the problem persists.
A reliable way to reproduce the problem is to pull the guitar cable in and out
of the amp slowly, this triggers pops in the input which likely aggravates the problem.

As the next step in my troubleshooting, I am considering taking apart the amp
and reflowing all solder joints to make sure I don't have a cold
solder joint.
Also, what may be some of the components that could be causing similar issues? I
can try replacing them preemptively.

The amp is still under warranty, so I'd like not to void it with anything that I
do as it can be my last resort to fix it. (but I'd rather fix it myself)

Thank you

sonar

The amp is still under warranty, so I'd like not to void it with anything that I
do as it can be my last resort to fix it.

There you go.

Take advantage of the warranty while you have it.

J T

Agreed. Leave it alone. Just bring it back. If they can't fix it, ask for another one.

TM1

If it's under warranty take it back. Most likely the amp has a bad cap in the signal path or an issue in the Reverb circuit. Try unplugging the Reverb cables and see if that fixes it.
Such a shame as all the parts and transformers are all Chinese made so it's a guess as to which actual part is the issue.. I could tell you if it was in my shop..

BurstWurst

I concur on checking the reverb cables. I had a similar issue with my 65 RI. The ground "ears" on the RCA cable to the reverb tank were spread too wide and not making contact. All good after bending them inward slightly.