NEW! LPF Facebook Page
NEW! LPF Instagram Page
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2019 Explorer

2019 Explorer

Just got this 2019 Explorer...i've wanted one for a long time and very pleased with. If you have one and would share a pic or your thoughts about this unique Gibson guitar would be appreciated!

Les Paul Forum Member deytookerjaabs's Avatar

Re: 2019 Explorer

I don't have one but the examples in the local shops look/play wonderfully, congrats!

Quote Originally Posted by deytookerjaabs View Post
    I don't have one but the examples in the local shops look/play wonderfully, congrats!
    thanks for checking this out..you have some great local shops around you! Was in Carter's a week ago and also got some work done at Joe Glaser's place.

a recent shot..

Congrats.

I picked up a 2018 lefty Explorer (and Flying V in aged cherry, actually) after years of holding out for a good example. 2018s have the grenadillo not rosewood, but I'm fine with that...

Love the neck profiles on these and of course the Explorer sits well in the lap, while the V is either crotch-propped or on strap. You need to find your right approach to the Explore on strap, but nothing too troublesome.

Both are great playing, great sounding performers with superb fit n' finish - got what I consider a good price and service from Sweetwater.

Enjoy!

That's sweet!

Quote Originally Posted by jb_abides View Post
    Congrats.

I picked up a 2018 lefty Explorer (and Flying V in aged cherry, actually) after years of holding out for a good example. 2018s have the grenadillo not rosewood, but I'm fine with that...

Love the neck profiles on these and of course the Explorer sits well in the lap, while the V is either crotch-propped or on strap. You need to find your right approach to the Explore on strap, but nothing too troublesome.

Both are great playing, great sounding performers with superb fit n' finish - got what I consider a good price and service from Sweetwater.

Enjoy!
    congrats on two killer guitars! I'm glad you have them after thinking about both for awhile. That's my story too...always wanted an Explorer (and V for that matter) and the new prices combined with the more traditional look of the new models did it for me. Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by viper007 View Post
    That's sweet!

sincere thanks for checking this out!

Quote Originally Posted by maplebaby View Post
    congrats on two killer guitars! I'm glad you have them after thinking about both for awhile. That's my story too...always wanted an Explorer (and V for that matter) and the new prices combined with the more traditional look of the new models did it for me. Enjoy!
    Thanks... 'xZactly! Kudos to Gibson for going this route.

Les Paul Forum Member AA00475Bassman's Avatar

[IMG][/IMG]
    My 2018 aged hardware & aged knobs .
    Ive never confused owning a bunch of high end gear with being some kind of a guitar player I'm a hack and I love guitars !

He thinks the mirror is a photo of a clown ?

The Myth: Neat wiring layouts always equate to great-sounding amps.

The Myth: If I would have lived with MOM & mooched till I was 48 I would play like Clapton !
    Think about it
    won't you ...... Please !

[IMG][/IMG]
    Ive never confused owning a bunch of high end gear with being some kind of a guitar player I'm a hack and I love guitars !

The Myth: If I would have lived with MOM & mooched till I was 48 I would play like Clapton !
    Think about it

Quote Originally Posted by AA00475Bassman View Post
    [IMG][/IMG]

My 2018 aged hardware & aged knobs .
    i love the aged hardware and knobs...looks just killer! I had to do a double take when i saw the wood bench...looks almost exactly like my table - great minds!

took some new pics recently..

Nice picture of a very cool looking guitar!

I'd buy it!

Excellent choice...

Great looking guitar! Interesting that Gibson chose to not dress these w/ gold hardware & vintage style knobs. The chrome hardware is a cool looking alternative--maybe a 'tip of the hat' to the Explorers that became available in 1963.

Here's my 2019. Just a bit over 8lbs. I love it.

I tried a 2018 a year or so ago, and hated it. Probably just THAT guitar, but it was dead as a doorknob. This guitar is so vibrant. Looks great on stage too.

Quote Originally Posted by Keefoman View Post
    Nice picture of a very cool looking guitar!

thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by K_L View Post
    Great looking guitar! Interesting that Gibson chose to not dress these w/ gold hardware & vintage style knobs. The chrome hardware is a cool looking alternative--maybe a 'tip of the hat' to the Explorers that became available in 1963.
    thanks...they def are kind of a 'basic' look. I know a lot of folks like the gold HW..i've never cared for it but that's just a taste thing so when these came out at the price point they are and the nickle and natural wood my long time goal of owning one seem like it needed to happen.

Love your avatar pic...is that your Explorer?

Quote Originally Posted by sws1 View Post

I tried a 2018 a year or so ago, and hated it. Probably just THAT guitar, but it was dead as a doorknob. This guitar is so vibrant. Looks great on stage too.

Congrats! Love your Explorer..the wood looks fantastic and i'm glad you like it better than the previous one. Yours is very light - i think it surprises some people that these are NOT heavy guitars. I seriously haven't put mine in the case since i've had it - play it every day - all the best with your music and would love to hear about your band(s) if you have time and want to share.

Quote Originally Posted by maplebaby View Post
    thanks...they def are kind of a 'basic' look. I know a lot of folks like the gold HW..i've never cared for it but that's just a taste thing so when these came out at the price point they are and the nickle and natural wood my long time goal of owning one seem like it needed to happen.

Love your avatar pic...is that your Explorer?
    I wish it was mine! I just stole the picture from Albert Molinari's website. I agree with you--it's nice that Gibson has issued the latest Explorers with chrome/nickel hardware--they look great!

[IMG] I was very surprised floor model guitar was dead this 2018 jumps & rings this USA guitar is as good as any of my Historics . The scale is not a kitchen scale legal calibrated trade scale I use in my business [/IMG]
    Quote Originally Posted by sws1 View Post

Think about it

Quote Originally Posted by AA00475Bassman View Post
    [IMG] [/IMG]
    nice scale!

Les Paul Forum Member GuitarMikey's Avatar

Great looking guitars! The aged hardware looks killer
    GuitarMikey

Just scored this 2008 on a trade. Has Duncan 59's. The Explorer has eluded me for years for whatever reasons but finally snagged one and they're nice. Full body sustain.

Nice looking Explorer !!

Think about it

Don't know why there are "dud" Explorers, but I have one too. A 2016 that is dead unplugged, and not a lot better plugged in. Only (newer) Gibson I have of any model that is dead.

I'm not that upset, as it made me go out and get another one, and I got this rather rare '79 E2. It is a gem!

"I am the kind of guy that only buys 100 watt heads just to play at home. I feel like if an amp can't kill a heard of cattle 100 yards away what is the point of owning it."

Better pic.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackjack30 View Post

Better pic.
    congrats...beautiful guitar!

Thanks Bro. Obviously the Korina model is the one to have but this one is nice.

Plays similar to an SG but with a thicker chunkier Mahogany tone.
    Lots of sustain.

Congrats to a beautiful Korina! I've always had a thing with the Explorer over the " V ".

I passed on an early 90's Explorer in Alpine White and grabbed a Studio AW instead. All good and no regrets, one day

Great loud sounding axe, specially the ceramic versions. Scorpions yeah!!!
    Old WOOD Is Good WOOD !!!

thanks for the great posts!

I really like all these Explorer’s !

Think about it

Quote Originally Posted by Trans-Am View Post
    Congrats to a beautiful Korina! I've always had a thing with the Explorer over the " V ".

I passed on an early 90's Explorer in Alpine White and grabbed a Studio AW instead. All good and no regrets, one day

Great loud sounding axe, specially the ceramic versions. Scorpions yeah!!!
    Korina???

Les Paul Forum Member stephan_l's Avatar

My 2019 also plays and sounds really great. And i like the look.

Only thing is, mine has a weird cut under the neck pickup. Looks like the employee wasn´t able to install the pickup, b/c he had no clue where to put the cable. So he grabbed a drill and "srrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr". Gibson QC on vacation? Unbelievable.

On the left a 2017 and in the middle a sunburst Limited Edition from 2000

Nice looking Guitars thanks for posting !

Think about it

3 beautiful Explorers--wow! Real nice! Are they similar top each other in playability? And is that the new 20w Marshall JCM 800?

Quote Originally Posted by stephan_l View Post
    On the left a 2017 and in the middle a sunburst Limited Edition from 2000

Les Paul Forum Member stephan_l's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by K_L View Post
    3 beautiful Explorers--wow! Real nice! Are they similar top each other in playability? And is that the new 20w Marshall JCM 800?
    thx, K_L

Playability is close and fantastic. I mean, mahogany neck, palisander fretboard and same fret size, well, what can u expect? The ´17 and ´19 neck have a little more wood compared to he 2000 LE, but the LE neck is in no way thin.....for my taste.

Dont want to hijack maplebaby´s thread about his 2019. So, about the 2019: the BB 2/3 sound nice, the guitar growls like it should. Great sustain. I changed the mounting rings for the higher historic version, just b/c i like it when top of the pickups and rings are nearly at a hight. Also installed the Faber inserts + Faber ABR/STP. oh, and historic knobs + pointers

The 2017 has more power, b/c of the higher output i guess. The 2000 has a little more growl than the others and from what i can see, it has a one piece body

The amp is indeed the JCM800 studio version. Highly recommended. Love this amp

Last edited by stephan_l; 10-28-19 at 04:51 AM.

I’m surprised myself, but I got the idea to get a similar one. So while in saving saving mode