• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Original Capacitors for R8?

Bluesman1956

Anyone know what the stock (brand name)capacitors would be on a R8? I understand that the bumblebee type were stock on the historics ,and I could be wrong. Any ideas and help from anyone.

Zeppelinguy85

All Access/Backstage Pass
Anyone know what the stock (brand name)capacitors would be on a R8? I understand that the bumblebee type were stock on the historics ,and I could be wrong. Any ideas and help from anyone.

Stock caps for R8's should be their bumblebee type. A R8 is a historic.

Tim Plains

Much older R8s came with ceramic discs. You never mentioned what year.

Bluesman1956

The guitar has currently Jensen (gold ) capacitors they sound good would I hear a major difference with the bumblebees??

Zeppelinguy85

All Access/Backstage Pass
The guitar has currently Jensen (gold ) capacitors they sound good would I hear a major difference with the bumblebees??

I doubt it. Gibson's "Bumblebee" caps are actually a cheap ceramic disc cap in a Sprague shaped case and painted. Nothing like the originals.

Bluesman1956

I doubt it. Gibson's "Bumblebee" caps are actually a cheap ceramic disc cap in a Sprague shaped case and painted. Nothing like the originals.
Thanks for the info. Really love the guitar, it’s light weight and beefy neck, and I’m a Strat guy so this is the first LP I ever really bonded with. I have a LP Custom and can’t stand it and only keep it for sentimental reasons.

zombiwoof

Actually, the Gibson BB's had film caps inside them until the current reissues. Still they were fakes, not PIO. The current Custom Shop LP's have real PIO BB clone caps in them.
Al

Big Al

There is no audible difference among caps of the same actual value, regardless the type. Most late 50's bees in guitars are not pio. Gibsons "fakes" sound exactly the same, as do the ceramic discs.:hmm