• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Question about copper shielding + P-90s (non-humbucking)

WytLytnyn

So I finally decided to trash my p100 in my Les Paul special. I've taken the plunge on some Fralin pickups, P90s that are non-humbucking. I'm going to be using 525k pots with orange drop caps in a 50s wiring config.

I was curious to see if anyone out here I'd done copper shielding on the body cavity spaces around the electronics in their Les Paul's in the hopes of reducing RF-based noise for pickups like these. If so, was it a dramatic effect or not? Was it worth the effort?

J T

You are hearing RF in your signal? Check your grounding, instrument cable, signal chain.

P-90'S are single coil and you will hear 60 cycle hum which is not RF. Some pickup makers will reverse wind the neck and bridge pickups giving the middle position essentially hum cancelling, but 60 cycle hum in P-90's is the nature of the beast.

Some players who play lots of Hi Gain stuff do that, but you can deal with it manually by rolling down the volume.

WytLytnyn

You are hearing RF in your signal? Check your grounding, instrument cable, signal chain.

P-90'S are single coil and you will hear 60 cycle hum which is not RF. Some pickup makers will reverse wind the neck and bridge pickups giving the middle position essentially hum cancelling, but 60 cycle hum in P-90's is the nature of the beast.

Some players who play lots of Hi Gain stuff do that, but you can deal with it manually by rolling down the volume.

The Fralin set that I have is reverse wound between the two pickups. It does dramatically reduce noise with both on. The noise isn't nearly what I've heard from other guitars with P-90s which leads me to believe that the copper shielding that I slapped all over the inside might be a contributing factor. Anyway, its done now and I also had a PLEK job and a bone nut cut/installed.

Per Don's advice, I don't have to choose where to position the guitar as much as I thought I would.

I couldn't be happier with the the mods. The Fralins are a revelation compared with the one-dimensional P-100s. I've got 525k pots installed now too so the clarity is amazing. They are almost "too revealing" in the sense that my gaps in playing technique are now more evident. I had the same issue when I bought a Suhr Antique S about the same time: Incredibly revealing pickups will give you a complex! Gotta put in the time and work on the player more than the gear now...

Last edited: