• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Need advise: Trade a Slash first standard true historic VOS for a 2018 R9 VOS

hanban

Looking for some input.

do you think it is wise to trade a 2017 r8 true historic first standard slash (VOS, not aged) for a 2018 R9 (historic, lemon fade).

what would you do? (personal preference aside, i'm talking about value/logic behind such a decision).

Arnold M.

Looking for some input.

do you think it is wise to trade a 2017 r8 true historic first standard slash (VOS, not aged) for a 2018 R9 (historic, lemon fade).

what would you do? (personal preference aside, i'm talking about value/logic behind such a decision).

well as a fellow owner of the aforementioned 2017 r8 true historic first standard slash (VOS, not aged) ... I would trade (plus cash) for a 60th Anniv. 2019 Les Paul any day .... but to upgrade from a '17 to an '18 ??? nah, I wouldn't

bother ... go big, or go home .. to me it's just not enough of an upgrade to justify dumping an already great guitar ... although appealing, I just don't think it's too logical ... the 2019 '59 upgrade would be worth it

Tim Plains

It's a Slash sig and will always be more desirable than a run of the mill 2018 (or 2019).

mustachio

Nope. Unless the Slash is a dud. But, it's probably awesome, right? That aside, the 2019 stuff is great.

porterburst

Unless the 2018 is really calling you, I wouldn't trade the Slash for it.

hanban

Thanks guys, I decided to keep the slash, is does sound great. but just out of curiosity, why are the 2019 59' considered better than 2018? from what i gather it's just unpotted pups, rest is same

here is a small video with the slash:)

CatManDoo88

The 2019s also have new pots with a better taper and a much larger array of colour options.

JPP-1

Looking for some input.

The 2018 and 2019 Historics are the same guitar with the difference that the 2019 has unpotted CBs and $90 worth of caps and pots “factory installed”. These parts are also available aftermarket and can be installed in 15 minutes by anyone remotely handy. It should be noted that some of these 60ths also have faux Rosewood: Pau Ferro. The marketing name Bolivian Rosewood is particualry deceptive since unlike EIR, Pau Ferro is not even a Rosewood.

Slash is one of the most iconic LP slingers and despite the fact the first Standard wasn’t an AFD guitar it still a Limited edtiton Slash signature. I would not trade it for a standard Historic unless I really didn’t like it and the 2018 or 2019 Historic had a really huge top.

C-4

Thanks guys, I decided to keep the slash, is does sound great. but just out of curiosity, why are the 2019 59' considered better than 2018? from what i gather it's just unpotted pups, rest is same

Terrific touch, playing, phrasing, and sound!(wow!).

That Slash LP has it! You would not have done better trading it, unless the trade guitar improved on what you already have, which imho, would be a stretch. :)

Ken Fortunato

Administrator
Staff member

The best thing about that guitar, is YOU!!! Just keep it! With hands, ears and feel like that, you're good to go... :salude

"Potted, unpotted, yeah okay"... :laugh2:

El Gringo

Nice playing and good choice to keep the Slash . Your playing sounded so nice with such a nice tone and a Mark Knopfler Dire Straits Brothers in Arms tone . Very nice , bravo !

Tommy Tourbus

I actually prefer 2018 to 19. 2018 was the one year where they didn't do yellow or dark cream binding and 'age/tint' the inlays. They went back to doing that for 2019. Some people like that, but I prefer the look of the binding and inlays of 2018

pdfiddler

That sound really brings out the greatness of the Les Paul. Nice playing:3zone

Atlas 82

Wow!. Beautiful guitar and amazing playing.

Trans-Am

Just keep the Slash and save for an R9 instead really. Best of both world since you are tied to a signature moniker as opposed to the tried and true Historic model even though they are in the same bucket per say.:salude