The Fender Forum
NEW! LPF Facebook Page
NEW! LPF Instagram Page
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite
    Les Paul Forum Member

Need advise: Trade a Slash first standard true historic VOS for a 2018 R9 VOS

Looking for some input.

do you think it is wise to trade a 2017 r8 true historic first standard slash (VOS, not aged) for a 2018 R9 (historic, lemon fade).

what would you do? (personal preference aside, i'm talking about value/logic behind such a decision).

Re: Need advise: Trade a Slash first standard true historic VOS for a 2018 R9 VOS

Quote Originally Posted by hanban View Post
    Looking for some input.

do you think it is wise to trade a 2017 r8 true historic first standard slash (VOS, not aged) for a 2018 R9 (historic, lemon fade).

what would you do? (personal preference aside, i'm talking about value/logic behind such a decision).

well as a fellow owner of the aforementioned 2017 r8 true historic first standard slash (VOS, not aged) ... I would trade (plus cash) for a 60th Anniv. 2019 Les Paul any day .... but to upgrade from a '17 to an '18 ??? nah, I wouldn't

bother ... go big, or go home .. to me it's just not enough of an upgrade to justify dumping an already great guitar ... although appealing, I just don't think it's too logical ... the 2019 '59 upgrade would be worth it

Re: Need advise: Trade a Slash first standard true historic VOS for a 2018 R9 VOS

It's a Slash sig and will always be more desirable than a run of the mill 2018 (or 2019).
    Tim

Les Paul Forum Member mustachio's Avatar

Nope. Unless the Slash is a dud. But, it's probably awesome, right? That aside, the 2019 stuff is great.
    "...it's a fool who plays it cool by making his world a little colder." Lennon-McCartney

Les Paul Forum Member porterburst's Avatar

Unless the 2018 is really calling you, I wouldn't trade the Slash for it.

Les Paul Forum Member

Thanks guys, I decided to keep the slash, is does sound great. but just out of curiosity, why are the 2019 59' considered better than 2018? from what i gather it's just unpotted pups, rest is same

here is a small video with the slash

Les Paul Forum Member CatManDoo88's Avatar

The 2019s also have new pots with a better taper and a much larger array of colour options.

Looking for some input.

The 2018 and 2019 Historics are the same guitar with the difference that the 2019 has unpotted CBs and $90 worth of caps and pots “factory installed”. These parts are also available aftermarket and can be installed in 15 minutes by anyone remotely handy. It should be noted that some of these 60ths also have faux Rosewood: Pau Ferro. The marketing name Bolivian Rosewood is particualry deceptive since unlike EIR, Pau Ferro is not even a Rosewood.

Slash is one of the most iconic LP slingers and despite the fact the first Standard wasn’t an AFD guitar it still a Limited edtiton Slash signature. I would not trade it for a standard Historic unless I really didn’t like it and the 2018 or 2019 Historic had a really huge top.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Plains View Post
    It's a Slash sig and will always be more desirable than a run of the mill 2018 (or 2019).
    This

Les Paul Forum Member

Thanks guys, I decided to keep the slash, is does sound great. but just out of curiosity, why are the 2019 59' considered better than 2018? from what i gather it's just unpotted pups, rest is same

Terrific touch, playing, phrasing, and sound!(wow!).

That Slash LP has it! You would not have done better trading it, unless the trade guitar improved on what you already have, which imho, would be a stretch.
    On s'électrise:
    Tension maximale
    Les corps-circuits...
    De deux amants
    On s'illumine
    Lumière animale
    L'école de l'é...
    ...lectro-aimant.
    La France a les plus belles femmes, le pays et la culture sur la planète. Personne ne peut correspondre à la beauté d'Alizée.

The best thing about that guitar, is YOU!!! Just keep it! With hands, ears and feel like that, you're good to go...

"Potted, unpotted, yeah okay"...
    Stop by and get reacquainted with The all NEW Fender Forum

"...put aside the alienation, get on with the fascination, the real relation, the underlying theme."
    Neil Peart (September 12, 1952 - January 7, 2020)

Les Paul Forum Member

Nice playing and good choice to keep the Slash . Your playing sounded so nice with such a nice tone and a Mark Knopfler Dire Straits Brothers in Arms tone . Very nice , bravo !

I actually prefer 2018 to 19. 2018 was the one year where they didn't do yellow or dark cream binding and 'age/tint' the inlays. They went back to doing that for 2019. Some people like that, but I prefer the look of the binding and inlays of 2018
    My Gibsons: 2020 '57 LP Custom Historic, 2018 '59 LP Historic, 2018 '58 LP Jr Historic, 2018 LP/SG Historic, 2016 Johnny A, 2015 '64 Firebird III Historic, 2015 '67 Flying V Historic, 2011 '59 ES-335 Wrap-Tail Historic, 2011 '60 LP Special Historic
    Quote Originally Posted by 82 Silverburst View Post
    What I see on this forum more and more is akin to little girls playing dress up with their dolls, getting them ready for some tea party.

Les Paul Forum Member pdfiddler's Avatar

That sound really brings out the greatness of the Les Paul. Nice playing

Wow!. Beautiful guitar and amazing playing.

Just keep the Slash and save for an R9 instead really. Best of both world since you are tied to a signature moniker as opposed to the tried and true Historic model even though they are in the same bucket per say.
    Old WOOD Is Good WOOD !!!