• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Specs Measurements of 1959 Les Paul studs, bushings and tailpiece

here we go. I am finally moving forward with my project on the 53 GT. I have decided that
it is way I want to go after trying to settle with just the wraptail. So....does anyone here
have the exact specs for a 1959 Les Paul stud, bushings and tailpiece. I am looking to buy
original parts and I don't know diddly. Thanks for your help.
Russell

none2low

here we go. I am finally moving forward with my project on the 53 GT. I have decided that
it is way I want to go after trying to settle with just the wraptail. So....does anyone here
have the exact specs for a 1959 Les Paul stud, bushings and tailpiece. I am looking to buy
original parts and I don't know diddly. Thanks for your help.
Russell

Have you verified that the neck angle is adequate enough for a full size tailpiece? If your '53 was originally a factory wrap, it would have had the thin ear tailpiece and shorter studs.

If your having problems with it leaning due to the short bushings, you can change just those out and still use the original hardware.

Have you verified that the neck angle is adequate enough for a full size tailpiece? If your '53 was originally a factory wrap, it would have had the thin ear tailpiece and shorter studs.

If your having problems with it leaning due to the short bushings, you can change just those out and still use the original hardware.

I have changed out the short bushings and studs. My neck angle IIRC is around 4.3. It was a late 53 so I have already done the work and replaced with a
TOM. Frankly it just makes the guitar more playable although I know some will be horrified to hear me say that. Regardless, another note I am now looking to purchase 59 hardware. I already have the studs and bushings and a 65 bridge. I want to know how to verify that what I am buying is legit. Especially if I am going to drop 5K on pups or 500 on a 59 bridge. How does anyone know what is real or fake. There doesn't seem to be any way to verify what you are buying.

none2low

Sorry, I misunderstood... I thought you were wanting to convert it back to a wraptail.

As far as an original stoptail.

There are specific features to look for, but if you're uncertain about being able to tell the difference, you may wish to reach out to some of the forum members here that specialize in vintage parts. That way you can be confident in what you are purchasing.

Best of luck in your search and enjoy the journey.