• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

I’ve changed my mind about aftermarket pickups OX4s are off the charts good

m bernardi

just got the page set will get them in next week :dude: will let you guys know how they are!!!!

mr kenny

just got the page set will get them in next week :dude: will let you guys know how they are!!!!

Every time I play my 335 I'm amazed how good it sounds, it's really inspiring. Looking forward to hearing what you think of your set.

corpse

I got to try a set of the Ox4 Beanos yesterday in a soon-to-be-seen booteekey guitar. Some real extra snap to them. 5% extra sizzle on the top. We ran it into a 1990 brown Fender VL reissue ( find one of them Fender lovers-whew). Very impressive PU.

CatManDoo88

Out of curiosity, since quite a few of us have purchased the Beano set, I'm curious how everyone is setting them up. Doing any polepiece adjustments? Where are you all setting the heights for balance? Trying to replicate the album tone or going for something different?

I'm still playing around with mine, but I've got the neck about 2mm from the strings and the bridge about 3mm away right now (with string fretted at last fret naturally).

ourmaninthenorth

I got to try a set of the Ox4 Beanos yesterday in a soon-to-be-seen booteekey guitar. Some real extra snap to them. 5% extra sizzle on the top. We ran it into a 1990 brown Fender VL reissue ( find one of them Fender lovers-whew). Very impressive PU.

I have my old Murphy visiting at the moment, my Mate has put a set of Hot Duane's in.

They are utterly fantastic, and suit the guitar down to a tee.

Mark sure does some lovely winds.

:salude

57Strat777

Regarding the question on PU height and adjustments, here are some pics of an OX4 Beano set in my R8. I spent quite a bit of time tweaking with height and adjusting magnets to get the balance and drive I was looking for. The PUs are balanced really well and I am digging the sound. Love the bright steel clang of the high notes. The sound is cleaner than my other modern PAF guitars. I like the low output sound. All of my other humbuckers are potted, so I can hear a difference there as well as it relates to the lack of potting. I have to say this is my first hands on experience with what the 50's PAF is really about. I can now hear a tone similar to what I hear on real burst videos, and I LIKE IT! I am wondering about the level between the black and bone bobbins being a bit off (see 2nd pic). Should I be concerned with that?

Here is a quick pocket recorder audio recording I made of the Beanos switching between pickups. If you don't have a Box account, just X out the log-in box and click the play button.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yeb9w7d8neo7204/110119-160629.MP3?dl=0

xcHGHZN.jpg

F4zPMCS.jpg

vEIkstI.jpg

v68x9cC.jpg

gpQtztI.jpg

Last edited:

CatManDoo88

Regarding the question on PU height and adjustments, here are some pics of an OX4 Beano set in my R8. I spent quite a bit of time tweaking with height and adjusting magnets to get the balance and drive I was looking for. The PUs are balanced really well and I am digging the sound. Love the bright steel clang of the high notes. The sound is cleaner than my other modern PAF guitars. I like the low output sound. All of my other humbuckers are potted, so I can hear a difference there as well as it relates to the lack of potting. I have to say this is my first hands on experience with what the 50's PAF is really about. I can now hear a tone similar to what I hear on real burst videos, and I LIKE IT! I am wondering about the level between the black and bone bobbins being a bit off (see 2nd pic). Should I be concerned with that?

Here is a quick pocket recorder audio recording I made of the Beanos switching between pickups. If you don't have a Box account, just X out the log-in box and click the play button.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yeb9w7d8neo7204/110119-160629.MP3?dl=0

Nice playing! The tones on your recording really reminds me of Clapton's tone from Primal Solos. I'm not sure about the bobbin issue. I know the bobbins on my set are level.

questfor

I have owned quite a list of good humbuckers. The following ones are some of my favourites
- Lollar Imperia Medium and hight wind
- Throbak ER-Custom and SLE 101+
- Custombuckers
- Wizz Premium Clones

But Ox4 Low Wind is the best set I have ever tried.

corpse

That's what heard with the Beano set here- cool that it is repeatable at the builder. Not witchkraft and madgik..
Nice playing- tasty. What amp are you playing through?

57Strat777

That's what heard with the Beano set here- cool that it is repeatable at the builder. Not witchkraft and madgik..
Nice playing- tasty. What amp are you playing through?

Thank you, Corpse - I was playing through a Carr Mercury V head with a Mesa Ported 1/12 EVM.

m bernardi

just got my push-pull pot today hope to get the page ox4s in by end of thr weeek:dude:

Rayvyn

Anyone know if standard sized covers fit OX4 PAFs? Got some on the way, need to order nickel covers...

BurstWurst

More kudos for Mark's OX4s here. I've been playing the same 59 Burst (with double whites) for 45 years. VERY familiar with the sound and feel of proper PAFs. A few years ago I put low wind OX4s in a CS ES-339 (along with a new vintage stylle harness). Tones from this 339 now are in extremely familiar territory. My OX4s are fabulous pickups. VERY HAPPY with them!

Mojoride

Out of curiosity, since quite a few of us have purchased the Beano set, I'm curious how everyone is setting them up. Doing any polepiece adjustments? Where are you all setting the heights for balance? Trying to replicate the album tone or going for something different?

I'm still playing around with mine, but I've got the neck about 2mm from the strings and the bridge about 3mm away right now (with string fretted at last fret naturally).

Hey all, I’m torn about swapping out the custom buckers in my R7. My plan was to get Throbak PG102’s. I’ve had them in an R8 before and just loved them. I bought those after calling Jon at Throbak and asking which pups would get me closest to Beano tone, and he said A5 mags all the way and said that the bridge pup in the PG102’s nail the Beano tone...

So, my assumption is that if Jon says A5, that I’d be best off getting the PG’s like he recommends, but after reading this thread, I’m considering the Beano OX4’s for this guitar.

Are the Beano Ox4’s done with A4 mags? Also, does anyone have experience with The Throbak’s VS. the Beano OX4’s? I’d love to get opinions.

Lastly, I’m a bit hesitant to replace the pups on this guitar as it sounds so damn good with the custom buckers... For me it’s surprising as I’ve replaced the pups in every Gibson Reissue I’ve owned including 335’s. But, this time I’m wondering if I’ll screw up a good thing by swapping out the custombuckers. But, they are A3 mags and as good as they sound, they don’t really nail the Beano tone that I’m hearing in my head, As well as typically I haven’t like A3 mag pups in my Gibson’s, so I’m thinking it’s the sum of the rest of the parts and build of this guitar that sounds so good, and with better pickups it’ll maybe be even better, also they’re potted, and I don’t play high gain very often, so I’m thinking that even just the one spec change of going unpotted would probably make a positive difference right off the bat.

Or, again, is there something to the old saying “don’t fix something that ain’t broke” lol...

Martin_UK

Seriously... the only things that are certain in life.....death, taxes, and duaneflowers and El Gringo spamming Wizz and Throbak in another pickup maker's thread

duaneflowers

Seriously... the only things that are certain in life.....death, taxes, and duaneflowers and El Gringo spamming Wizz and Throbak in another pickup maker's thread

I love Wizz, Rewind, Stephens Design, OTPG, K&T and Rolphs and will recommend any or all of them whenever someone is looking for options in which my experience might prove helpful. Isn't that what this board is here for? I recommend that you block me if your sensitivities are offended by my opinions, they didn't seem to be when you were looking for my opinion of Monty's though. There was also a time when Ox4 was on that list and quite a few others have come and gone as well. I standby my recommendations and don't offer them lightly. :salude