• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

R9 G-string bridge rattle even after changing to new bridge/saddles

KR1

Fair enough, but the dealer is in Colorado and I live in Missouri, so I can't just take it there and let them see what I see. Hence my "dickin'" with it. But I am through with that and have contacted the Gibson repair center in Nashville, which is only about 3 hours from where I live. Hope to get it there next week and let the qualified take over. Still, aggravating as crap that this expensive of an instrument has this big of a problem!!

It takes some experience to see and quickly correct a set-up issue, but, most matters are usually corrected with small adjustments. No rocket science involved.

Did the addition of a little relief (loosened truss rod) seem to permanently remove the rattle (probably a fret buzz)?

Big Al

Fair enough, but the dealer is in Colorado and I live in Missouri, so I can't just take it there and let them see what I see. Hence my "dickin'" with it. But I am through with that and have contacted the Gibson repair center in Nashville, which is only about 3 hours from where I live. Hope to get it there next week and let the qualified take over. Still, aggravating as crap that this expensive of an instrument has this big of a problem!!

Sometimes dicken with it can void your warranty. It may have been, as some have suggested, a too straight neck requiring a simple truss rod adjust to fix, BUT meaning no disrespect, it seems you are not yet experienced enough to diagnose or remedy the problem. Internet forum fixes can be just as bad and you need experienced eyes and hands on the job.

It is an inconvenience but also the reality of mail order/internet/long distance purchase. But you have a 60th Anniversary 59 and every one I've tried was exceptional and when all is sorted out you will have yours. A glorious thing. Hang in and soon you'll be in tone heaven with a guitar I'd give almost anything to have. A PITA right now but soon, ..... sonic heaven.

El Gringo

I agree 100% with what Big Al said and this is a deja-vu for me with a PIA R8 that I have and similar issues and I trashed the nut and the ABR-1 bridge and now the Les Paul is with my tech who is replacing the trashed nut and ABR-1 bridge because it would not stay in tune and I also had some buzzing as well and it drove me nuts and I went crazy with the jewelers file and the sandpaper and I should have sent it to a professional tech to repair it ( lesson learned ) . Big Al was right when he said it should have been shipped back to the point of purchase shop where the FACTORY WARRENTEE could be utilized . Last thing to remember to everyone is to ONLY BUY FROM REPUTABLE OFFICALY LICENSED AUTHENTIC Gibson Dealers !!!!!!

cabalaska

I agree 100% with what Big Al said and this is a deja-vu for me with a PIA R8 that I have and similar issues and I trashed the nut and the ABR-1 bridge and now the Les Paul is with my tech who is replacing the trashed nut and ABR-1 bridge because it would not stay in tune and I also had some buzzing as well and it drove me nuts and I went crazy with the jewelers file and the sandpaper and I should have sent it to a professional tech to repair it ( lesson learned ) . Big Al was right when he said it should have been shipped back to the point of purchase shop where the FACTORY WARRENTEE could be utilized . Last thing to remember to everyone is to ONLY BUY FROM REPUTABLE OFFICALY LICENSED AUTHENTIC Gibson Dealers !!!!!!

Yep. I did buy from a reputable dealer. As the original post states, I bought it from Wildwood Guitars in Colorado--they have an ad on this site and many of the forum members speak very highly of them. I actually did send it back to them a couple of weeks after I received it because of bent bridge posts and saddle screws--it wouldn't intonate!. Not sure if it happened in shipping? I had read that the authentic replica Lifton cases are such a tight fit that they can can cause the above to happen? I don't know. They fixed that, paid for shipping both ways and were very accommodating. However when I got it back with a new bridge etc, that's when I noticed the buzz. Well you can read the original post about that.

Anyway, I didn't get much response from my inquiry to WW about this--in fact I got no response at all. Now, I'm not here to say anything negative about Wildwood. Overall, it was a good experience, but they are in Colorado and I am in Missouri, so it's not as easy as loading up the R9 and driving down the block. And as one forum member stated, that's the risk of buying guitars online a thousand miles away when you can't see it, play it and be there to either walk away or point out the things that are dissatisfactory. Ultimately though, I want/need to take it to an authorized Gibson center where I can show them in person and pick it up in person to make sure I'm happy with the repair right there on the spot--Still waiting to hear from Gibson about this.

fretboarder

Its common for new gibsons to have crappy nuts that need work on them..iv played 2 in a shop this week with the same issue on the top e string.. the instore tech can easily fix it though..