• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

LP Case

Rich R

In the Zone/Backstage Pass
Received a LP today packed in one of these:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...a-latches-for-single-cutaway-electric-guitars

First case I've seen that I'd substitute for one of the original Protectors. Really great, lightweight, etc Guitar was just in that case and dropped into a cardboard box. Completely safe and intact. If you routinely ship LPs, like for repairs, etc. this is a great thing to have, eliminates all that packing work.

NOT an endorsement of Sweetwater, BTW (although I do consider them a great outfit)--just was the easiest way to post pics!

El Gringo

A word of caution as to what if it falls of the delivery truck unknown to the driver and he backs up over it and guitar crushed and good luck getting full value and $ from the carrier . Myself , I purchased a Anvil case for my Les Paul's just for this reason alone and I have tremendous peace of mind that my Les Paul (s) will never be damaged in transit .

Anje

Interesting feedback Rich thanks for sharing.
I'm in the process of trying to assess what kind of modern case I could use to safely move around some early 70's LP at weekly band gigs & rehearsals.
I just don't trust the (too) thin original purple / pinkish / red interior cases, they don't offer enough protection especially for the headstock that often rests on its back at the bottom of the case.

I've just received a new generic "standard" black Gibson - TKL LP case (black plush interior, 2 neck rests): not really impressed, has terrible "new" strong glue smell, plush is flying away easily and just a really so-so quality finishing work in general.

I was thinking of finding a black Gibson Custom Shop case, the nicer ones with deep red interior.
Have you been able to compare that Gator to those CS cases? If yes how do you think they compare and which one do you think offers best protection for an old LP?

Rich R

In the Zone/Backstage Pass
Thanks Rich! Ordered one! :dude:

I think you'll dig it--super light!

Anje, those black CS cases are definitely nice, almost a "presentation" effect when you open it, but ultimately they're a nicer version of the same basic LP case physics. What would make one of these Gators cases perhaps more useful for what you have in mind is the much better support and shock absorption--I assure you they won't win any beauty contests. The interior design brings to mind what's been going on in high-end acoustic cases for awhile, stuff like Calton and Hoffee, just really thick support and protection. Don't get me wrong, they're not in that class, but dollar-for-dollar, you're getting really good protection for not much dough. And did I mention they're LIGHT? :spabout

Anje

Thanks Rich, sounds like I need to try one of those :salude

J T

Case looks sturdy. Are you planning on flying with it?

Señor Verde

I bought one of those a few weeks ago for my R7. I really like it, but wish the compartment were longer.

renderit

That looks great at a great price!

These are a bit of a lug, but these work fine for the LP.
They offer great protection.
I also have one for the 33X's that are a tad too prone to not fit as there is so much variance in the sizes of them.

37574552441_e08e327416_k.jpg

37315893640_19cad53a74_k.jpg

But for my money these are the best if you can find one...

35485092344_6b4649972f_k.jpg

35925385630_24302dae17_k.jpg

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
A word of caution as to what if it falls of the delivery truck unknown to the driver and he backs up over it and guitar crushed and good luck getting full value and $ from the carrier . Myself , I purchased a Anvil case for my Les Paul's just for this reason alone and I have tremendous peace of mind that my Les Paul (s) will never be damaged in transit .

If this is a concern for anyone, I suggest you get outside insurance for shipping. Do not rely on the shipper's insurance. It is rarely worth it. :ganz

El Gringo

If this is a concern for anyone, I suggest you get outside insurance for shipping. Do not rely on the shipper's insurance. It is rarely worth it. :ganz
You are correct and I agree and I caution for the guitarist to do there due diligence and protect there precious guitars , as I ship mine for service and was horrified when I got the talk from my tech and responded ASAP to get a Anvil case for my Les Paul's . If you are using a case just to get to a gig and are handling it yourself the cases mentioned in this thread will be fine , but for commercial transit you need heavy duty protection .

Thunder Dump

These are a bit of a lug, but these work fine for the LP.
They offer great protection.

37574552441_e08e327416_k.jpg

37315893640_19cad53a74_k.jpg

+1 for these SKB water-tight ATA cases. I store my LPs in their OHSC, but anything that comes to a gig travels in one of these. Way more durable and offers more protection, keeps the OHSC from getting beat up, and looks less like an expensive LP that someone may want to walk away with at a gig. I've been using one for the last five or six years and they hold up very well.

J T

+1 for these SKB water-tight ATA cases. I store my LPs in their OHSC, but anything that comes to a gig travels in one of these. Way more durable and offers more protection, keeps the OHSC from getting beat up, and looks less like an expensive LP that someone may want to walk away with at a gig. I've been using one for the last five or six years and they hold up very well.

I have one of those SKB cases too. Nice case, but big.

J T

Yes.
And awkward.
But really well built.
But not so nice to store.

My case is like yours except mine is red chushed "velvet". I keep one of my R9's in it. I store the case horizontally on a wire frame shelf. The interesting thing is, I open the top and I hear a slight woosh. I take out the guitar and it is in perfect tune, and the neck is spot on just the way I left it.

Very much like a bass case and as awkward to handle. The wheels are a great feature.

If you fly with it, the airline will tag it as oversize and may charge you extra as it gets diverted to oversize luggage.

Anje

Thanks Rich, sounds like I need to try one of those :salude

Quick update: I've just got one, no-luck for me; the case looks and feels fine (for the price) but I tried to put my '74 LP Custom in and it won't fit correctly.
The molding/padding makes the guitar sit at a slight angle for some reason and the high string tuners won't clear, I just can't put the headstock in.
So it's going back, search goes on.